Staff Assigned: Adam Robichaud Guiding Issue

Discussion in 'STX and STXL Series Cameras' started by Starry Don, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Starry Don

Starry Don Cyanogen Customer

I have an STXL 11002 with autoguider in filter wheel (FW8G STT) and MaximDL 5.23. I setup my camera for auto guiding and its tracking very well. When I go to take an image with main chip the autoguider loses its guiding during exposure. When the exposure is done the autoguider resumes. I confirmed with the image that I’m not taking a dark frame during this process. Can someone assist with issue. Note, I never had this issue before and just started having this problem. I’m using the latest camera drivers and firmware.

Thanks

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Don, are you sure it is losing guiding during the exposure - and not just for the few seconds while it digitizes and downloads? (e.g. is the image ok for a bit then gets imperfect stars?).

You might consider upgrading to MaxIm 6.18, as a bunch of work on guiding etc was done since your "fine vintage" release.

Perhaps you could post a sample FITS image (you might have to link to dropbox since it will be big).

BTW what mount are you using, and how is guiding configured (e.g. guider cable with Guider Relay setting, or Direct Guide), and are you using mount control software (Astro-Physics APCC, Software Bisque TSX) and versions ?

3. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

One other thought - what OS are you running (e.g. Windows 10 64bit 1809)?

4. Starry Don

Thanks Colin for the questions. Maybe losing guiding is not the best description. The guide camera shows an image of static ... similar to what you would get when a cloud gets in the way. This occurs only when imaging with main chip. When the main camera has completed taking shot the guider resumes with guide star present. I have an AstroPhysics GTO 1600 mount and have use this setup successfully for years, so it does work, except now. There are no issues with cables, which I wouldn’t expect to see being that it works (when I’m not imaging). I’ve been using Windows 10.0.17134 Build 17134, 64 Bit. All my drivers are up to date. Using relays from camera. Using AP V2 Driver from ASCOM. I don’t want to buy new software until this is remedied. I don’t have an image to upload with issue since its occuring during guiding on. Still needing help.

5. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Hmmm... one of the Diffraction wizards will have to weigh in on this.

Am wondering what has changed to make this start happening.

6. Starry Don

Colin, I tried reloading the software but still no luck. I did what you suggested earlier, which is to go with 6.18. Well, guess what ... it worked! I don’t know what was causing the issue but problem is resolved. Do you know where I can located information on what the updates were for 6.18 vs my 5 version?

Many thanks!

Last edited: Dec 8, 2018
  7. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

8. Adam Robichaud

Adam Robichaud Lead Developer Staff Member

Hi Don, we're aware of an issue that sounds supsiciously like the problem you're having. It has to do with the main shutter affecting the external shutter incorrectly, and guide frames that should be light frames actually being darks. We're hard at work on some changes we hope will address it. Please stay tuned.

9. Starry Don

Thanks. Software 6.18 does work, but would like to have my original 5.23 to work. Appreciate you keeping me posted.

10. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Version 5 was discontinued over four years ago and is no longer under active maintenance.