Resolved Guiding with an st camera

Discussion in 'Legacy Models - Community Support' started by Edward Henry, Nov 1, 2018.

1. Edward Henry

Edward Henry Standard User

Ok, please bear with my ignorance it's been decades since I've used an st camera. I got this used st 2000 xcm working with drivers from online, and I have software ( images plus) which will take and process images, but could someone please remind me what is needed for guiding?? Back then I used ccdsoft, but don't have that. I have the cables to connect to the mount, but what kind of software is going to take the guide images??

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

If it is parallel port it must be an ST-2000CM, not an XCM. X indicates USB interface.

CCDOPS software will guide. For a parallel port camera use the legacy version. Both the legacy parallel port version and the modern USB port version are available at http://diffractionlimited.com/support/sbig-archives/

Archived product manuals are also available on that page.

3. Edward Henry

Ah, it is an xcm so it is usb..hence the usb cable i guess...lol
    Anyway, i downloaded ccdips but it wouldnt run on my computer....ill look again...perhaps i downloaded the wrong version...
    Thanks

4. Edward Henry

Ok, yes, I downloaded the wrong version. A quick check and it connects and works the camera. Its all starting to come back...lol....now to see if I can remember how to convert into color....
    Thanks
    Ed

5. Edward Henry

Ok, sorry to bother but I just have one more issue. Almost everything seems to work and I am about ready to try it on the scope. I can take images from the imaging chip, I can take darks, I can convert to color but when I switch to the tracking chop I can't seem to get an image, just noise. Shouldn't I be able to get something just ad I do with the imaging chip??
    Ed

6. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Make sure it's set up to use the internal guide chip, not the external guide chip.

7. Edward Henry

Yes, I saw that and switched back and forth. It was all black on external. On internal i get an image but just noise and weather it is .1 seconds or 30 seconds, it doesn't change. Somethings wrong eh?? The camera hasn't been used for a few years

8. Edward Henry

Hi, just wanted to let you know that it has started working the way it should. I don't know why....I clicked a few settings here and there back and forth like the resolution but I don't think that's really what did it. In any case I know that it works and it's not just some setting that I had missed so I'll just see how it goes .....thanks for your help
    Ed Henry