guiding with ST402 through MOAG and AO8

Discussion in 'Image Capture' started by starstruck, Nov 26, 2014.

1. starstruck

starstruck Standard User

I have an ST10XME without remote guide head port and I have recently purchased a MOAG and ST402 camera so I can guide in front of filter wheel for narrow band and dim guide stars. I want to be able to use the AO8 while guiding with the ST402. It is mounted in front of the MOAG but wired through the ST10. Can anyone tell me if this is possible with Maxim DL and if so how would I configure it if I tried the trial version? Some have told me it can be done and others say it cannot because the camera electronics do not allow it. Alan Holmes had previously told me he could see no reason why it cannot if the software would allow for it.

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

This is not a configuration we have tested.

The MOAG/guide camera must be in front of the AO8 for this to work optically. That is an important "mechanical" consideration. The other issue is software.

My concern is whether the driver will send the AO commands to the correct device. The ST-402 does not have the port required to connect to an AO. You'd have to guide with one camera while sending the AO commands through the other. That's not something we explicitly support in MaxIm DL as it was not anticipated that anyone would do this.

You would have to set up the ST-402 as Camera 2 operating through the SBIG w/AO driver, and the ST-10 through the SBIG Universal driver. I suggest you try it... but I honestly don't know if it will work or not.

3. Jan Soldan

Jan Soldan Cyanogen Customer

I think, that if the AO-8 is wired to the ST-10 camera, than the AO corrections have to be send to this camera only, so the ST-10 should operate through sbig w/AO, but I do not know if Maxim DL can process some tracking image from the ST-402 and then send the AO corrections to the second
    camera. I would guess no, but I may be wrong.
    Jan

4. SkyMan

SkyMan Standard User

I don't think there is a camera control program available that will work in that configuration. Being able to put an external off axis guider camera like the 402 or st-i between the camera/filter wheel and AO would benefit a lot of users not only with RGB filters but would open up possibilities for using narrow band filters as well.

It would seem to me, being a retired software engineer, that it would be a simple thing to do to add a configuration for this type of setup since the control software is already there to read the external guide camera and send the corrections to the OA. When the max/min tilt is reached then send the bump command to either the main camera relays or guide camera relay to move the mount.

Basically, instead of talking to the main camera guide chip, talk to the external guide camera instead. This could be setup as a configuration option in the control software.

I must compliment SBIG in coming up with a guiding filter wheel which eliminates the problem of guiding through filters and allows the use of narrow band and still be able to use the AO. I would think providing this configuration would be a great selling point.
    SkyMan

5. starstruck

starstruck Standard User

6. starstruck

starstruck Standard User

Doug,
    Thank you for your extremely quick response. I don't quite understand how the AO8 could be effective in guiding if the ST402 guide camera is "picking off" the guide star before it goes through the AO8? I am surprised this has never been tried. The original SBIG ads for the MOAG featured the optical configuration pictured just as I am suggesting. I own and am completely happy with the AO enhanced guiding with my built in guide chip on the ST10 but because of the filters diminishing the brightness of the guide star (especially in blue or narrow band) I purchased the MOAG and ST402 to get in front of the filters. Now it looks as though I must sacrifice the AO guiding enhancement when I use the 402. Bummer[​IMG].
    Thanks for your advice and please let me know if you think of anything new to try.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2014
  7. Doug

Doug Staff Member

I may have not written that clearly. It has to be AO then MOAG then filter wheel then camera.

I'd give it a try; sometimes the SBIG drivers have surprised me in how they worked. I haven't had the chance to dig into the internals.

In any case, I'll make a note of your configuration; maybe we can find a way to accomodate your situation.

8. starstruck

starstruck Standard User

Doug,
    That will certainly be appreciated. Please let me know if you come up with a solution. With all the AOs in use I can't help but think there are others who would like to see this option so they can guide on stars from in front of the filters, especially for narrowbanding. Thanks for your interest.

9. Richard M

Richard M Cyanogen Customer

Hello, Starstruck?
    1. if you want to use the off axis AO: AO-8 => off axis guider => Camera (in that case only possible combination: SBIG remote guide + ST-10XME with remote guide head
    2. if you want to use the off axis guider + AO-8 : Off axis guider => AO-8 => Camera
    I've heard from others, in that case, 2 MaximDL windows is needed(or one MaximDL , the other PHD2 or something). GPUSB might be needed
    Richard M