How do you set up a SBIG as direct connect

Discussion in 'Image Capture' started by Dean Salman, Oct 11, 2016.

1. Dean Salman

Dean Salman Standard User

I have a STL 11000 with a remote guide head. I set up the camera with the remote guider and did not check the use internal guide. In settings for guider I choose Ascom direct, Then in set up pick the ASCOM Sky X driver. I check the direct guide box but that does not help. This process works with every camera as a guider as long as it is not SBIG. It works in Sky X camera add on perfect.

How is this done. microguide crashes maxim all the time although I should not be using that

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

My recommendation - link the observatory control to TheSky, and then select Telescope.

There are some settings in the ASCOM driver that you need to configure to enable PulseGuide. If you haven't done that then ASCOM direct definitely won't work.

3. Dean Salman

how is the remote guide head set up SBIG, I assume there is no camera 2 and the options you pick external guide head

4. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Yes.

5. Dean Salman

Ok, well nothing wants o work and we have the same problem at Kitt Peak with direct guide using the ST 402. I guess I have to use a guide cable although I don't allow that on the mountain. I will keep trying

6. Tim

Tim Staff Member

Do you have dual chip mode check box checked?

7. Dean Salman

No this is not checked with using a second camera for the ST 402. With the remote guide head there is no 2nd camera set up and internal guide is not checked.

8. Tim

Tim Staff Member

I am not clear on what exactly you are trying to accomplish. Originally you stated you are using an STL 11000 with remote guide head. To do this, you would need to select "External Remote" as the Guider under the Camera 1 options. Then check "Dual Chip Mode". This will disable Camera 2 since the Remote Guide Head is now Camera 2.

If you want to use the ST 402 as the guider, it needs to be setup independently as Camera 2. You can not use 3 cameras (STL 11000, RGH, and an ST 402).

9. Dean Salman

sorry for the confusion. ok so back to the STL 11000 and remote guide camera. I tried setting the internal guide box check and not checked. the real problem is the error when I go into the guide tab and click expose. The guider is set up as Ascom direct. In set up I pick from the Ascom list Ascom telescope driver for TheSky because this is a ME mount. I get a message could not initialize guider output. I am trying to set up direct guide. Any other camera as a guider works as long as it is not a SBIG

10. Dean Salman

Can you forward a message to where it needs to the person it needs to go. I am getting shipped a SBIG 16200. Can they stick a extra guide cable for the sTL 11000 so I can just use guider relays since direct guide is not working

11. Doug

Doug Staff Member

I've asked Carla to slip in an extra TIC cable. Assuming it's not packaged up yet she should be able to do that.

12. Tim

Tim Staff Member

So you are using the STL 11000 as your Camera 1, and the ST 402 as Camera 2?

Please zip and send us your "Settings" folder located in "My Documents/MaxIm DL 6", so we may see what options you have set.

13. Dean Salman

Thank you. The 16200 is for a client on my site and I am looking forward to see how well it works. I am considering one myself here in Colorado. Although I would get the built in guider and CFW as well