How to Connect Autoguider in the Filter Wheel of a FW8G-STXL to SkyX Professional??

Discussion in 'Filter Wheels' started by Anthony Cappuccio, Apr 4, 2019.

1. Anthony Cappuccio

Anthony Cappuccio Standard User

I am having issues trying to connect the AG/filter wheel to the SkyX interface on Windows. The CCD camera connects perfectly fine. However when trying to connect the filter wheel to SkyX I receive an error code of 30027.

I have also checked all hard-wired connections, multiple times, and am aware that all necessary cables between the computer, telescope and camera are good to go.

I have updated the drivers for the CCD camera to include the most up to date versions of the camera and have noticed that the specific camera model listed above: "FW8G-STXL" does not pop up under the drop-down menu. Additionally, I have updated SkyX to the most recent version and neither of these updates have provided a solution and still I have yet to see the specific model of camera listed as a selection. I have noticed that none of these selections in the drop down menu, list any specific model of CCD camera that includes an auto-guiding chip. This leaves me in an odd situation because I am unsure how to connect the filter wheel use the auto-guiding chip within it if I am not even given a the possibility of using an auto-guiding chip.

Please HELP!

2. Bill

Bill SBIG Service and Repairs Staff Member

Anthony,

Is it set to "External" guider?

-Bill

3. Anthony Cappuccio

Anthony Cappuccio Standard User

Bill,

I am not sure how to check if it is set to external/internal. Could you guide me through it? I have noticed this recommendation on other posts but I cannot seem to locate it.

I have since solved my connection issue (after updating the drivers, I neglected to restart the computer. After doing this the FW and Autoguider connected with ease). However, I am working through the instruction manual for the FW8G-STXL camera and I am struggling to adjust the pick-off mirror correctly. The manual says there should be a "shadow" appear on the edge of the image but I have completely rotated the knob for the pick-off mirror multiple times now and have been unable to notice a shadow. I read a post on here from November 2016 where someone mentioned this internal/external setting for the guider could be the possible solution but nothing definite, so I am open to suggestions.

-Anthony

4. Bill

Bill SBIG Service and Repairs Staff Member

Anthony,

In CCDOps it is under the "Camera" tab. Choose Camera, then Setup. About 2/3 of the way down in the Camera Setup box is "Tracking CCD Setup". There you can change between internal and external.
    In MaximDL you can select the internal or external guider by clicking on the Setup tab then the Setup Camera button.

-Bill