Image alignment problem.

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Michael Paling, Oct 13, 2018.

1. Michael Paling

Michael Paling Cyanogen Customer

Hi ..
    I am doing a project which involves taking images of a "Blazar" at regular intervals over a lengthy period ... I am trying to take images at least once a week depending on the weather. I have so far taken 5 separate images but I need to continue for as long as I can.
    I am looking to produce a film loop using, the individual images, so that I can see the Blazar changing in magnitude over time ..... it is vital that my individual images line up very accurately.
    I can easily align my series of images using MaximDL ... but the problem is that when I carry out the alignment it seems that Maxim to make the last taken image as the reference image and all previous images are being aligned to the last one.
    I would really like to make my very first image as the master and all subsequent images aligned to it .... is this possible????

I have spent quite a bit of time playing with the various alignment settings when carrying out the alignment process but I can't seem to make Maxim make my first image the "reference master" :-((((

Am I missing something obvious here .... or is it impossible?

Can anybody please give me some pointers with this problem???

Cheers Mike

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Use the Stack command:
    1. Load up all your images
    2. Go to the Align tab
    3. Right-click on the image that you want to be the reference image, and click Reference Image
    4. Click the drop list button and select Alignment Destination...
    5. Set "When an input file is to be updated" to Move Result to .\Aligned
    6. Using the mouse and Shift key, select all the images in the list
    7. Click the drop list button and select Compute and Align Images
    8. Look in the Aligned subfolder; you will find all your aligned images
    9. You can now use the View menu Animate command to produce your movie

3. Michael Paling

Michael Paling Cyanogen Customer

Many thanks Doug ...
    I now realise that I had set the "reference image" to the last one in the series and was unable to change it without doing the whole process starting from fresh.
    All is well now.

I didn't realise that I could produce animations of my files in maxim .... I have just been playing with this option.
    It works well on the screen within Maxim .... but when I save it as an AVI file and try to play it back to me outside Maxim I seem to get a blank screen :-(((

Cheers Mike

4. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Funny, I've never had a problem with it. Might have something to do with video codecs?