Imaging with high speed CMOS cameras

Discussion in 'Image Capture' started by Jesse, May 17, 2017.

1. Jesse

Jesse Cyanogen Customer

(Also posted this on Yahoo Forum)
    Has anyone found MaxIm DL to be of any use for high speed imaging with the newer CMOS cameras such as those from QHY or ZWO using their ASCOM drivers? I currently don't have hardware at hand. I've been evaluating SharpCap using their high speed simulator. I can use MaxIm with the ASCOM Camera V2 simulator which allows me to set exposure speeds down to 0.001 seconds and it "works" but I'm not as confident about actual performance as I'm am with SharpCap.

Thanks,
    Jesse

2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Cyanogen Customer

Jesse, what are you trying to do? eg solar imaging?
    I've used MDL with a ZWO and no issues once ZWO fixed their drivers. Which seem to be less buggy as time goes by - for a while they were under constant change.
    I have a few older QHYs, and used one for Guiding with MDL for 5+ years, no issues. Not sure about the current generation, as I have no experience with them. Again, driver software quality was an issue with QHY for a long time, and can't comment on the present versions.

3. Jesse

Jesse Cyanogen Customer

"What are you trying to do?"

Speckle imaging of double stars at F16 at around 30ms/frame. Collecting around 1000 frames per target. I suppose the performance requirements are similar to solar/planetary (lucky) imaging - if anyone's done that with MaxIm and the ASCOM drivers for these cameras. The speckle images are subsequently packed into a FITS cube for processing. (There's software to do the packing for individual FITS images and AVI files.) Indeed vendor drivers could be a weak link, though as you note they've had time to work out the bugs.

Thanks for the reply,
    Jesse