internal filter wheel for ST402-ME

Discussion in 'STF Series CCD Cameras' started by fakahle, Aug 24, 2016.

1. fakahle

fakahle Standard User

I just purchased a ST402-ME with internal filter wheel (BVIC) to set up a small scope for photometry. That said I'm running into trouble imaging: while operating the camera some frames get partial vignetted by the filter wheel, others are totally blocked by the filter wheel. Seems to be correlated with the nose piece at the filter wheel and the nose piece hitting the internal switch and bouncing back. To my understanding: I would expect the filter wheel to bounce bach to clear filter position after hitting the switch - is this correct? Can anybody post a picture showing the orientation of the mounted filter wheel. Is the mounting sensitive to a 180 deg reverse mount on the double D washer? One of the glued filters, the I filter, seems slightly misaligned: it moves the switch to its upper position on its way from I to C - is this expected, or is this indicating that the I filter is indeed slightly misaligned.

Regards
    Frank

2. Bill

Bill SBIG Service and Repairs Staff Member

Frank,

The filter wheel should be mounted filters up. Alignment can be affected if the wheel is mounted 180 out, it doesn't hurt to try it both ways. I believe the filter wheel goes to the last filter used after initializing. Is this a 2nd hand unit? Was the FW mounted when you received it?

-Bill

3. fakahle

fakahle Standard User

> Is this a 2nd hand unit?
    No, its a new camera.

> Was the FW mounted when you received it?
    No, it wasn't.

Frank

4. fakahle

fakahle Standard User

Same issue with the filter wheel mounted 180 reverse. Today I've been operating the camera with the front cover removed to see what's going on. Looks like this is caused by the misaligned I filter hitting against the switch - after hitting against the switch the filter wheel is out of sync:-( I realigned (reglued) the I filter further in a few minutes ago and will have to wait until the glue has dried before I can go on testing (Camera has been a new one, 'last in stock' offer from my local dealer).

-Frank

5. fakahle

fakahle Standard User

Running fine now from CCDOps and CCDSoft. Slightly vignetted filter positions from TSX Build 9202 (Windows 7), fine with TSX Build 9133 (OS X El Capitan). For the latter one I had to set up the filters as I V B C - but that's a SB issue.

-Frank

6. Bill

Bill SBIG Service and Repairs Staff Member

Good work Frank.

-Bill