Long delay in Downloading Autoguiding images

Discussion in 'Image Capture' started by BobH., Jun 6, 2015.

1. BobH.

BobH. Cyanogen Customer

Hello,

Last night, I was attempting to calibrate the Auto guider for the first time, using MaxIm DL with an STT-8300 camera and 8-position filter wheel with internal auto guider (FW8G-STT). The images from the guider (camera 2) were downloading fine, but then went into several minute delays for even a 2 second exposure. Looking at my settings, I couldn’t see what might have caused it. I was going to shut down everything and restart, but clouds moved in.

On another note, I tried moving the guide mirror in and out and watched for vignetting, but couldn’t see a difference in the images. There was always a small, darker semicircular area in the primary image whether the pick-off mirror knob was screwed all the way in or all the way out. There is also a thin bright streak on every guide scope image. What might I be doing wrong? I appreciate any help with this.

2. GlennS

GlennS Cyanogen Customer

What you should see will be at the bottom of the image - not vignetting. Take an image that you might use as a Flat -- play with the screen stretch, and if the mirror is in too far, you will see a darker stripe at the bottom of the screen. The manual is pretty good at telling you how to move the pick mirror.

3. BobH.

BobH. Cyanogen Customer

Hi Glenn,
    Thank you for the advice. I couldn't visualize what I should be seeing. Your suggestion makes it far more understandable to me. I'll shoot some flats with the pick mirror in various positions and watch for the difference.

You may have seen that I encountered another problem, which I was unable to solve. I had written about it in another forum entry:
    I was attempting to calibrate the Auto guider for the first time, using MaxIm DL with an STT-8300 camera and 8-position filter wheel with internal auto guider (FW8G-STT). The images from the guider (camera 2) were downloading fine at first, but then went into several minute delays for even a 2 second exposure. Looking at my settings, I couldn’t see what might have caused it. Is this an electronics problem, a program issue, or perhaps a mechanical issue? How might I approach finding a solution to this problem? I was out last night, and with camera 2 set on continuous, it took 2 images fine, but then went into the several minute delay on the next couple. I then tried single exposures with the same problem. Could it be that something is causing Maxim DL to temporarily shut down when I use Camera 2 (the internal guide scope), and only when it responds again that it downloads the image? I appreciate any help with this.

BobH.

4. GlennS

GlennS Cyanogen Customer

Maxim and the STT are a good combo, but the software/firmware are a bit unstable at times.
    Make sure you have latest SBIG driver and STT-8300 firmware (use driver-checker).
    I've never had the delay issue that you are experiencing. Are you using a USB hub (I've a lot of posts about HUB issues). I use only the native USB port on my laptop with the standard USB cable.

5. Gunny

Gunny Cyanogen Customer

Bob,

I had something similar to you with slow downloads, but it involved a rather contentious problem with tsx and the drivers. I had no problems with maxim though. Here is the link: http://www.bisque.com/sc/forums/t/24796.aspx. Tim was helpful, bisque was not.............Jerald

6. BobH.

BobH. Cyanogen Customer

Hi GlennS and Gunny,
    Thank you for your input. The problem seems that I was not properly focused and most of the delay in downloading was actually the program searching for a star. I have resolved it now. Thanks again.
    Bob H.