MaxDomeII - Python error (pywintypes.com_error) in trying to establish a connection

Discussion in 'Scripting and Programming' started by SBW, Apr 29, 2018.

1. SBW

SBW Standard User

Hello,

I am in the beginning stages of creating some Python code to control a telescope and dome. I am using MaxDomeII from Diffraction Limited as the dome driver. In the python code, I have:

import win32com.client
    from win32com.client import Dispatch
    dome = win32com.client.Dispatch("MaxDome")

I am using "MaxDome" inside the parenthesis because I see a dll file called MaxDome.dll that is saved at C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\ASCOM\Dome, so I think this is the appropriate driver file that I need to use.

For reference, I am currently able to control the telescope using the following similar command without any issues: telescope = win32com.client.Dispatch("ASCOM.SoftwareBisque.Telescope")

However, when I include the above line for the dome, I get two instances of a pywintypes.com_error that both reference an Invalid class string. The exact error is pasted below.

>>> Beginning of Error message
    C:\telescope>python telescope.py
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python36-32\lib\site-packages\win32com\client\dynamic.py", line 89, in _GetGoodDispatch
    IDispatch = pythoncom.connect(IDispatch)
    pywintypes.com_error: (-2147221005, 'Invalid class string', None, None)

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "master_guiding_radec_working.py", line 22, in <module>
    dome = win32com.client.Dispatch("MaxDome")
    File "C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python36-32\lib\site-packages\win32com\client\__init__.py", line 95, in Dispatch
    dispatch, userName = dynamic._GetGoodDispatchAndUserName(dispatch,userName,clsctx)
    File "C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python36-32\lib\site-packages\win32com\client\dynamic.py", line 114, in _GetGoodDispatchAndUserName
    return (_GetGoodDispatch(IDispatch, clsctx), userName)
    File "C:\Users\Admin\AppData\Local\Programs\Python\Python36-32\lib\site-packages\win32com\client\dynamic.py", line 91, in _GetGoodDispatch
    IDispatch = pythoncom.CoCreateInstance(IDispatch, None, clsctx, pythoncom.IID_IDispatch)
    pywintypes.com_error: (-2147221005, 'Invalid class string', None, None)
    >>> End of Error message

I've done some online searching relating to this error message, and see potential solutions as adding particular values to the Windows Registry or trying to execute a makepy.py file. However, I'm not finding anything that suggests a concrete path forward. If anyone has experience with this type of issue and its resolution, please let me know.

Thanks!
    Scott

2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Cyanogen Customer

Scott, I'm just another customer.
    Have a look at the ASCOM Yahoo Group (mentioned on the ASCOM site) and see if you can get a bit of guidance for the correct way to access all ASCOM devices.

3. SBW

SBW Standard User

Thanks so much, Colin! I joined the ASCOM Yahoo Group as you mentioned and someone directed me to the ASCOM Profile Explorer menu, which showed me all the driver names I need and solved my issue. Appreciate your help!