Maxim Error - 17; shutter error?

Discussion in 'STX and STXL Series Cameras' started by sixburg, Mar 25, 2016.

1. sixburg

sixburg Cyanogen Customer

First light with new 16803. Worked well-ish for a while, then Error 17 - Shutter error. What can be done?

I say worked "well-ish" because the RGH shows horizontal, white lines from time to time. To get past this requires power cycle. But this is a problem separate from Error 17.

Thanks.

2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Likely they will want to know details - like what the firmware version is in the camera, operating systems, do you have latest drivers, what software you are using to run the camera.

3. sixburg

sixburg Cyanogen Customer

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?res...authkey=!ACrkuARv2E8uOH0&v=3&ithint=photo,jpg

Yup....fog of war.

The camera is new outta the box. Firmware screen in attached--it is current. Drivers current. Win 7, Maxim 6.12.
    Se
    During an exposure Maxim says "waiting for filter wheel" until the Error 17 code is displayed. Additionally, the filterwheel seems to no longer be recognized. Seems like unconnected issues, but way too coincidental that the shutter and FW are acting out at the same time.

Tim P. is helping with this situation.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2016
  4. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

No attachment... definitely fog of war...
    Am thinking you might want to email bill@sbig for guidance, as the Canadians are out of action today, Good Friday.

5. Rick Nolthenius

Rick Nolthenius Standard User

Rick - Cabrillo College Astronomy Chair: I've got a problem - "Shutter Error". It's with our SBIG ST4000xcm camera, which we've been happy with for 10+ years or so. We've not used it at all for a couple of years however, it's sat in it's secure company-built black case at the observatory during this time. I've got a new Trio Win10 tablet computer for dedicated use solely on running CCDOPS and our SBIG cameras in the field. I fired it up first at home, and all seemed well, and I anticipated a great night of shooting come PANSTARRS and the Helix Nebula. But in the field (hills of central California, dry mild night at low 60's F temperatures), after connecting to a good full-charged hefty gel-cell 12v battery, and separate battery to keep the Trio tablet happy, I got the camera going, put it in "focus" mode, it downloaded the first few focus frames (1 sec images), and then it froze with "shutter error". I tried powering camera off/on, re-booting computer, re-seating all connections, looked at the window above sensor, all without trouble. But still, after putting in 'focus' mode (or 'grab' mode too), it would work for less than a minute and then 'shutter error'. Sometimes I'd get 3 or 4 images, sometimes 1, once I got 0 images before the error. But nothing resolved it. The drivers and CCDOPS were downloaded just a couple of weeks ago and seemed happy. The one thing is that the firmware has never been updated, so it's ancient. Could that be a problem?

6. Doug

Doug Staff Member