Meaning of temperature setpoint (STXL 6303)

Discussion in 'STX and STXL Series Cameras' started by David Kirkby, Apr 12, 2019.

1. David Kirkby

David Kirkby Standard User

What is the meaning of the temperature setpoint when temperature regulation is enabled?

Is the logic to try and maintain the setpoint temperature or to always stay below it? In particular, if the ambient temperature decreases, should I expect the temperature to also decrease (approximately maintaining a constant ambient offset)?

I am using a STXL 6303.

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

The set point is the temperature that the camera will regulate to. If ambient drops the sensor temperature will NOT change - that’s the whole point of regulation. You need a constant sensor temperature in order for calibration to work properly.

David Kirkby likes this.
  3. David Kirkby

Thanks for confirming this. I attached a plot from a recent observing run where the sensor temperature appears to track ambient with the regulation on.

It is possible that this is a problem with the old linux driver we are using. Are there any recent updates to the new linux driver or SDK that we could try?

David

image001.png

4. David Kirkby

I should add that we saw roughly the same thing in all 5 STXL 6303s that we have installed in our instrument.

5. Doug

Doug Staff Member

That's a pretty wild swing in ambient temperature! What sort of instrument is this?

What power level is the cooler indicating during all that?

Are you using the stock power supply, or something else?

Could you do a test with CCDOPS (Windows) to make sure there isn't something wonky in your software?

6. David Kirkby

These cameras are mounted on the 4m Mayall telescope at Kitt Peat. I will check on the power monitoring.