New power supply for STX-16803 questions

Discussion in 'STX and STXL Series Cameras' started by Jonathan, Dec 7, 2015.

1. Jonathan

Jonathan Standard User

Hi,

I'm trying to purchase the new power supply (Catalog/Part #: 60005) for the STX-16803. It only seems to be available on the SBIG website. The only other site I could find it listed, stated that it is not currently in stock.

I tried to place an order at the SBIG website, but could not get past the checkout page that requested selection of a method of shipping. Very funny-- no method of shipping is listed, and the checkout procedure will not continue until a method of shipping is selected! Have tried two different browsers with the same result. I don't seem to have any problems when checking out on other websites. Any suggestions?

Also, I'm wondering why SBIG came out with a new STX-16803 power supply. Was there a problem with the old design? I ask because I've been having some odd behavior with my camera in below freezing temps. Only when it is below freezing, the camera will start downloading blank images every 5 to 20 minutes. When this happens, the only solution is to cycle power on the camera. It then works fine for a few more minutes. If the temp is above freezing the problem does not occur. At this point I'm guessing it is something in the observatory, even though all the other equipment appears to be working fine. I hooked up an oscilloscope to the observatory power and it looked good. I also put an EMI filter on the STX-16803 power supply, but this did not fix the issue. So, I am wondering if there is a problem with the camera's power supply? Would very much like to try the new power supply and see if it makes a difference. Thank you.

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

We changed the power supply simply because we found a better supplier. The old one was fine.

We've been having occasional weird issues with the online ordering. We've started a complete web site redesign so that should soon be a thing of the past. In the meantime, please try a different web browser and see if that works better for you. Failing that you can place your order by phone.

As for your cold problem, try putting your power supply brick in an insulated box. If that improves operation in the cold, then you have your smoking gun.

3. Jonathan

Jonathan Standard User

Thank you, Doug. I'll try the insulated box test and let you know what happens.

4. Jonathan

Jonathan Standard User

Found the source of the problem of the SBIG purchase checkout not displaying shipping options. When I filled out the billing and shipping info I used my zip code plus the four code extension (example: 97256-1234). In this case no shipping info appears and the checkout can't be completed. When the four code extension is removed the shipping info appears and the purchase works just fine.

5. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Thank you for sussing that out! Now that we understand the problem, resolving it should be relatively easy.