New STT-8300 - Dust on inside of CCD Chamber Window

Discussion in 'Legacy Models - Community Support' started by Dean J., Feb 25, 2016.

1. Dean J.

Dean J. Standard User

It appears that I have a speck of dust or something on the inside of the CCD chamber window of my new camera. See sample flat frames below. The dust speck is right at the edge of the frame at the top center.

The dust speck is in the same place using two different telescopes and isn't dependent on which filter is used. I have just posted two flats [luminance and red] for each telescope to save space.

Took the camera apart this morning and I can definitely see a tiny speck on the CCD chamber window corresponding to the dust donut on the images below. The speck won't blow off using a lens cleaning bulb or move with gentle application of a cotton swab.

So, it looks like there is dust or something on the inside surface of the CCD chamber.

This is something that I wouldn't expect to see with a new $3600 camera. Flats will remove most of the defect from the images... but this is something I wouldn't expect to see in a new $3600 camera.

How do I get this cleaned?

Dean J. flat_master_clear.jpg
    flat_master_red.jpg lum_master_flat.jpg red_master_flat.jpg

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Certainly we would not ship a camera with an obvious dust spot. Very rarely a dust speck will appear after shipping.

Can you send a FITS frame so we can evaluate the spot quantitatively?

3. Dean J.

Dean J. Standard User

Hi Doug, thanks for the quick response.

Sure, no problem. Do you want the FITS version of one or more of these flat field frames?

How do you want me to send the file(s)?

Dean J.

4. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Yes a FITS flat field.

You can upload to ftp.cyanogen.com, incoming folder. Suggest using Filezilla

5. Dean J.

Dean J. Standard User

OK, uploaded 6 files to the "incoming" folder... I think. I couldn't actually see them in the folder but when I tried to upload again, I got a message that anonymous users cannot overwrite existing files.

4 files are master flats taken with f/9 RC. 2 files are master flats taken with an f/3.3 Tak. Epsilon 160 - the dust donut is somewhat bigger but in the same location.

Please confirm receipt of files.

I look forward to hearing from you once you take a look at the files.

Dean J.

6. Dean J.

Dean J. Standard User

Hi Doug,

Any opinions on my camera after your quantitative evaluations of the flat field images I uploaded to your server?

I have owned 7 previous SBIG cameras of all types since 1998. This is something that I have never encountered to date.

Dean J.

7. Doug

Doug Staff Member

It's definitely a dust speck that is beyond SBIG specifications. Please arrange with Bill @ SBIG Service & Repair to return the camera for cleaning.

8. Dean J.

Dean J. Standard User

Will do. Thanks for looking into this for me.

Dean J.