Resolved New STXL11002 Issue

Discussion in 'STX and STXL Series Cameras' started by Martin Pugh, Nov 12, 2018.

1. Martin Pugh

Martin Pugh Cyanogen Customer

Hi Doug
    received a new STXL11002 today. Firmware is out of date, but when I saw the red 'status' light extinguish on connection via TSX and then within a couple of minutes TSX reports 'no temperature information available' I updated the firmware, but the problem remains. I can get temp information back if I disconnect and then reconnect but the red status light remains extinguished. It does illuminate when an exposure is taken and then stays on. The green 'volts ok' light is on and steady.

In Maxim V6.18, I do not have the same issue with the red status light but within a couple of minutes after connecting, Maxim reports 'cooler is off', but the camera remains connected. Practically identical behavior to TSX.

Advice please.
    thanks
    Martin

2. Martin Pugh

Tim
    further to the above. TSX reports 'no temperature control' not 'no temperature information available'. If I click on the 'Temp Setup' button, an error is then produced: SBIG Driver: Operating System error. Error=30032"
    thanks
    Martin

3. Doug

Doug Staff Member

The red status LED is partly controlled by software, so its behavior might be different on third party software. Try running from CCDOPS and see if it behaves differently.

Also please check the cooler operation from CCDOPS, to eliminate any possible software cause.

4. Martin Pugh

Doug
    the red status light behaves as expected with Maxim and CCD Ops so yes, different with third party software.

I can also confirm now that it behaves exactly the same way in CCD Ops but I think I have spotted the issue.

The problem occurs when the camera hits 100% cooler power but unlike my 16200 where it simply turns the cooler off, on this camera (and on 3 software packages)the connection to the camera is dropped. I have noticed, despite the fact that all my cameras have up to date firmware and drivers, that temp regulation differs.

As mentioned, on my STXL16200 it turns cooler power off at 95% of cooling so I have to stage the cool down on this camera (0 degs, -10, then -20)
    On my other STXL11002 cooler power will stay at 100% and then decrease as the set temp approaches. I do not do that in practice, I stage the cool down per my 16200.

So now I know what is causing this, I staged the cool down in TSX and the connection to the camera was maintained.

The ram up of power on this camera and the 16200 is very rapid....perhaps this could be adjusted to prevent this?

thanks
    Martin

5. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Your power brick and/or the extension cable is causing the problem - it's not maintaining enough voltage when the cooler is at 100%.

Are you using the supplied power brick? Are you using third party wiring (e.g. built into the mount)? Or are you using the cables that came with the camera? You need really large wire gauge to prevent excessive voltage drop.

One thing we did a while back was increase the voltage output of the STX/STXL power supplies to 13V, to help overcome cable losses.

6. Martin Pugh

Doug
    The camera is still on my workbench, so I am using the power supply and cables provided with the camera.

Thanks
    Martin

7. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Very odd. What is the camera's serial number? Also can you upload a picture of the label on the power supply brick?

8. Martin Pugh

SN is X18100001. Pic attached.

Attached Files:

9. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Hmm... this is going to need some investigation. Can you try it with a different power brick?

10. Martin Pugh

Doug
    ok, I have put the camera on the telescope now and connected it to my own power supply. The issue has resolved, but obviously the supplied power brick is not up to the task, and I would prefer to use that, so what do we do next?
    thanks
    Martin

11. Doug

Doug Staff Member

I'll ask @Tim to investigate this with you; maybe the power supply brick has an issue.

12. Martin Pugh

Doug.

Ok so my original STXL11002 is powered by the supplied power brick and does not have an issue but this camera is about 5 years old and the power brick looks quite different.

When My new STXL11002 is powered by the supplied power brick (and my STXL16200) the cooler is turned off when it is at 99%. My new STXL is now powered by my own PSU without issue. FWIW, I always use regulated 13.8v PSUs.

If you are going to replace the Power brick I would appreciate it if you could send a unit to replace the one on my 16200 also as it is a real pain to stage the cooling and entirely prevents automated data acquisition.

Thanks
    Martin

13. Martin Pugh

Doug. You can close this issue. The new power brick you sent me now maintains power at 100% until the set temp is approached and then backs off.

cheers
    Martin

14. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Okay good to hear. Sorry about the defective power brick. We've changed suppliers so hopefully this will not happen again in the future.