Nikon D750 and D7200 cannot connect

Discussion in 'Demo User Tech Support' started by tcab, Mar 13, 2017.

1. tcab

tcab Standard User

Tried to connect to both my Nikon D750 and D7200 cameras and got the errors:

"Camera failed to open, Nikon plug-in could not connect to camera. Could not initialize Nikon module. Error selecting source" - for the D750

"Camera failed to open, Nikon plug-in could not connect to camera Could not initialize Nikon module. Error loading module 'Type0017.md3' - for the D7200

Both cameras work ok in Backyard Nikon.
    D750 works ok in ImagesPlus (D7200 is not supported in the menu).

I tried re-installing the Maxim 6 demo, also tried rebooting my windows 10 machines - still get the same errors.

2. Owen Lawrence

Owen Lawrence Retired Staff

Hi,

When you run MaxIm DL, please make sure no other program has already connected to your camera. Software that comes with your DSLR is often configured to launch as soon as you plug in or turn on your camera. If this happens, close that software first, and then attempt to connect to the camera using MaxIm DL.

Please refer to http://www.diffractionlimited.com/help/maximdl/Nikon_DSLR.htm

If you have Camera Control Pro 2 installed (just install it; you don't need to run it), you can select that instead of the default for "Nikon DLLs". This may help with the "Type00017.mdl" error, but I'm just guessing at this point.

We can get more details about both errors by enabling logging. To do this, use Notepad to create a text file in your Documents folder called CCDPlugNikon.txt. Add the following line:

LogMessages 1​

Make sure to put a blank line after it. When you reconnect with the camera, a file called CCDPlugNikon.log will be created in that same folder. Please make a zip archive of this file and upload it here.

- Owen -

3. tcab

tcab Standard User

Ok I rebooted and didn't run any other camera capture software except yours.
    Managed to connect, then went into into "expose", selected camera 2 (camera 1 is a simulator, which I can't delete) and took a photo.
    Yey the D750 snapped its shutter.
    Then as it was processing/downloading/converting to monochrome or whatever Maxim app crashed.
    Tried again and the same thing happened - Maxim app crashed.
    Screenshot attached.

Log file for the Nikon log also attached.

Attached Files:

4. Owen Lawrence

1. Thanks for the log file. I forgot to ask you for a zip of your Documents\MaxIm DL 6\Settings folder, too. I trust that you have selected the exact camera model you're using in the Nikon Advanced Setup dialog. (Camera Control Window | Camera 2 | Setup Camera | Advanced... | Camera Model drop-down)

2. It's possible we got the image size wrong. I loaded a sample file from a D750 to get the image size, which differs from what is in your log file. You can override the size MaxIm DL expects a downloaded image to be by adding two more lines to the top of the CCDPlugNikon.txt file:

WIDTH 6032
    HEIGHT 4032
    (Yes, those values are not the same as the ones you'll see in your user manual.) This assumes FX format, which must be the mode set in your camera. I'll also assume you don't have a DX lens attached; I'm not sure if we support both formats, but I suspect not.

3. Please verify that your camera Image Quality is set to RAW (not RAW+JPEG, etc.). I think the log file indicates that it does, but that's only based on Nikon's documentation.

4. BTW, you don't have to "remove" Simulator as Camera 1 in order to select the Nikon. Camera 1 must always have a camera selected, but Camera 2 is optional. It's not necessary to change your settings. I just thought I'd mention it.

5. It's a good idea to delete the log file before starting a test, because it grows indefinitely. You can also avoid adding to it by setting the "LogMessages" value to 0 (zero).

- Owen -

5. tcab

tcab Standard User

Ok the width/height seems to have done the trick and capture now works. Thanks!

After taking 10 or so shots, I eventually got "error opening shutter. shutter control failed to start capture" and restarting maxim didn't help. I ended up turning the camera on and off. Attached is the log file, if you are interested.

P.S. I must say the file handling is a bit confusing
    • taking multiple single shots seem to disappear into temporary files which are not retrievable in the UI, only the last image ever appears on the screen. Presumably this is by design.
    • doing autosave saves files ok but when attempting to stack "images" the popup (the list of images that can be combined (via the add images... button) only lists the last shot taken in my autosave plan - so I have to add "files" not "images" instead, via the add files.. button. Not sure what the point of the "images" technique is if it doesn't list all my autosaved files.
    • when I select "files" to stack, only a few of them actually get added in the list, even though they are exactly the same image and there is nothing wrong with them and I have selected them all when adding. Not sure why adding 4 NEF files results in a group with only 2 of my nef files, for example.
    I haven't read the manual, so I should probably ;-) though I get the feeling its going to be an uphill battle for a beginner like me, who is looking for an intuitive UI. For example with the free Deep Sky Stacker you add your files, they appear in the list, then you press go. But I appreciate that this is perhaps an app designed for astronomy experts, so your design may indeed be perfect for them. And like I said, just giving feedback based on using the UI without reading of the manual!

-Andy

Attached Files:

6. Owen Lawrence

Hi Andy,

I'm glad the new image dimensions worked. They will become the default values in the upcoming release (V6.14). Once you have updated you'll be able to remove the CCDPlugNikon.txt file.

Go to the Camera Control Window | Expose tab | Options menu. You will find an item called "New Buffer (Single Only)". If you select this so that it has a checkmark beside it, whenever you expose a new image you'll get a new "buffer", i.e. window containin the image. This may be closer to the behaviour you're expecting. This will also affect what's available in the Process | Stack dialog.

And now you have added a single piece of technique to your toolbox, and the slope of the battle hill just got a little shallower. Take your time and feel free to ask questions. Definitely read the Stacker manual; it'll save you a lot of head-scratching.

- Owen -