No connection to Nikon D5300

Discussion in 'Demo User Tech Support' started by Eugene Helsel, Jun 12, 2017.

1. Eugene Helsel

Eugene Helsel Standard User

in my program files there is the following
    upload_2017-6-26_21-36-39.png

2. Eugene Helsel

when I look in the Nikon folder I see this this
    upload_2017-6-26_21-37-39.png

3. Eugene Helsel

going into the camera control pro 2 folder I see this. there is no option for a 32 bit version
    upload_2017-6-26_21-39-36.png

4. Eugene Helsel

If I click on NControl pro this is what I get. Is this good?

upload_2017-6-26_21-43-43.png

5. Eugene Helsel

well maybe not Maxim DL still cannot connect

upload_2017-6-26_21-49-13.png

here is the follow on screen

upload_2017-6-26_21-50-0.png

geez this is so frustrating.
    The main issue (I think) is that when I follow your instructions I do not see an install file that you mention in step 2. Can't you just call me and walk me through this. I would be helpful to understand what I am doing wrong.

There has got to be an easier way to connect my D5300 to Maxim DL. Backyard Nikon connects right up without an issue. What is the problem with Maxim DL?

6. Eugene Helsel

where is how BY Nikon looks

upload_2017-6-26_21-59-21.png

7. William B

William B Cyanogen Customer

Hi Eugene

As another Maxim user I have followed this with some interest as I have a Nikon D90 that used to work in Maxim DL6 and then stopped a few weeks ago with the same problem that you have and exactly the same error message.

I had on my system an old copy of Maxim DL5 and in that version the Nikon D90 still works ok.

I think the issue began for me after a Windows update but I can't be sure.

I tried uninstall - reinstall of Maxim DL6, keeping my setup and config files but this did not fix the problem and but I noticed something odd that although the uninstall was reported successful in Windows control panel and Maxim DL6 had disappeared from the programs list when I looked in the C drive, program files (x86) I found the Maxim DL 6 folder was still there and intact.

So I then manually deleted the entire Maxim DL6 folder at C: > Program Files (X86) > Diffraction Ltd > Maxim DL6 ......Then, I went to C: > Users > (your name) > My Documents > and renamed the folder Maxim DL6 to Old_Maxim DL6.

Next I reinstalled Maxim DL6, when launched Maxim DL 6 had kept the license though all other config was of course missing, then I went to camera setup and chose Nikon D90 using the default driver...no other changes made, standard USB connection method....went to connect....and it all works!

I did not have much in the the old config file so I haven't bothered to swap the old config file back into the new Maxim DL 6 folder in My Documents.

Since you are a new user without much setup already done I would suggest following the steps, uninstall Maxim DL6 using Windows control panel, completely delete the Maxim DL6 folder at C:> Program files (X86) > Diffraction Ltd > Maxim DL 6. Completely delete the Maxim DL6 folder at C:> Users > (Your Name) > My Documents > Maxim DL6.

Reinstall the Maxim DL6 program from the download but right click the installer .exe and choose "Run as Adminstrator"

Launch Maxim DL6 and in camera set up use the default driver for the Nikon and make no other changes, standard usb connection method.

Maybe this will fix the problem.

William.

8. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Don't use the explorer view. Launch WinZip or whatever app you are using, and then get it to open the installer file directly.

You won't see the 32-bit files on the disk because the installer only puts on one set, either 64-bit or 32-bit, depending on the operating system you are running. This really is wrong behavior but it's what Nikon did.

9. Eugene Helsel

Hi William,
    I followed your instructions. Still seems to be a problem with getting a connection between Maxim DL and my D5300. Here is the set up
    upload_2017-6-27_6-43-28.png

When I click on connect here is what I see
    upload_2017-6-27_6-44-54.png

If I use the other Nikon DLL camera control selection
    upload_2017-6-27_6-46-31.png

Here is what I get when I try to connect
    upload_2017-6-27_6-47-48.png

When I look in program files (x86) this is all that is there.
    upload_2017-6-27_6-50-3.png

While in the other Program files here is what I see. I do not see the camera control modules folder
    upload_2017-6-27_6-51-17.png

Do not know what to do at this point

10. Eugene Helsel

sorry forgot to look in the common files folder. here is what is in there. There is the type0011md3. Its just not in the Program files (x86) common files folder. Can I just move it there?

upload_2017-6-27_6-57-36.png

Attached Files:

11. Eugene Helsel

here is what the is in Program files (x86) common files
    upload_2017-6-27_6-59-51.png

12. Eugene Helsel

Hi Doug
    I will delete the Nikon software and before I reinstall it I will launch winzip then download the Nikon s/w. Is that right?

13. Eugene Helsel

Is it possible to get a 64-bit compatible version of MaximDL? It seems like Nikon has made it rather difficult to get the 32-bit version of camera control

14. William B

I'm surprised you need the Nikon software to make Maxim work with the Nikon DSLR, I don't have any Nikon software loaded in my Win 7 64bit laptop, just Maxim DL6 and DL5 and the D90 works in both using the default driver in camera setup.

Have you tried running Maxim "As Adminstrator" just once?

15. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Download the installer. Run WinZip (or 7-Zip or similar) and then use the Zip program's user interface to open the installer file (yes it is an EXE but it will open). Then extract the 32-bit files needed.

A 64-bit version is in the works but will take quite a while.

16. Eugene Helsel

Hi Owen
    I have not tried running maxim as administrator. Can you give the basics for how to do that? If I right click I think there is the option to run as administrator

17. William B

The way I do it is to right click the Maxim DL icon on the desktop and either click the "Run as Administrator" option, which usually works, but sometimes I find I need to go the programs source folder by using the "Open File Location" and find the Maxim DL 6 .exe icon, right click that, then "Run as Administrator"

18. Tim

Tim Staff Member

aaaUntitled.jpg bbbUntitled.jpg

cccUntitled.jpg

dddUntitled.jpg

I suspect this will not work. Admin access is not needed. What will work is *installing* the 32-bit drivers. And the way to do that is to unzip the new All-In-One installer, and access the 32-bit installer directly, or look for the old, and outdated 32-bit Nikon driver they used to distribute before they combined the drivers into an All-In-One installer.

1.) Download 7-zip free zip utility and install it. http://www.7-zip.org/download.html
    2.) Locate the All-In-One Nikon driver installer you downloaded, and "right" click on it. Select the 7-zip context menu, and extract the contents.

You should then be able to access the setup.exe file for 32-bit systems.

19. Eugene Helsel

Sounds reasonably straight forward. Is the key here not to click on "run" after the download is complete from the nikon site?

20. Tim

Tim Staff Member

Right, you don't want to run the downloaded file....but we do what what is inside the file....and the only way to get at it, is to extract it.