Optimal Temperature for SBIG STT 8300M

Discussion in 'Legacy Models - Community Support' started by jerryyyyy, Apr 12, 2017.

1. jerryyyyy

jerryyyyy Cyanogen Customer

Hello,

I have been running my STT at -20 rather than -30 because was suggested it mattered little and that it drew less current and system might last longer. I have had problems getting a reliable power supply.

My power has been reliable now for several months possible due to working of the connection and now have a new scope attached to do some more RGB from a light polluted site (my roof). So we are trying to minimize noise in the system.

I short a bunch on new -30 darks last night and saw the cooler ran at 50-55% power. When it runs at -20 I see around 25% power.

Am I OK running at -30? We are analyzing the darks, but is there going to be an advantage?

Cheers

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

As you get colder you get incrementally lower dark current - it's diminishing returns. No problem running at 80% power or more, but it's a good idea to leave a reserve so you can maintain the same regulation on warm nights.

3. jerryyyyy

Thanks Doug. The Darks and the Bias I ran last night were all over exposed. i must have screwed up the maxim settings. Been a long time since I ran these. Is there a standard for settings somewhere?

4. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Overexposed? Make sure the drivers and firmware are both updated. That might be a version mismatch causing problems with RBI Preflash.

5. jerryyyyy

I see in the Maxim release notes:

SBIG: Added RBI Preflash support for STT series cameras (requires both SBIG Universal Driver and firmware update). Improved threading support for SBIG cameras. Fixed a camera status problem related to camera swapping. Made internal and external shutter operations independent.

I see sttga.bf2 is 2.58 and current is 2.64. And 4.96 Build 3 is not current....

I hate to update things. This camera is basically working.... tell me everything will be OK... has there been any problem with ACP?

I tried to update the driver and says cannot because file in use....

Last edited: Apr 12, 2017
  6. Doug

Doug Staff Member

If the firmware and driver are not in sync you may not be able to control RBI preflash at all.

7. jerryyyyy

I tried to update the driver and says cannot because file in use....

8. jerryyyyy

Diug, solution was to run as Admin. Updated and system back up and running. Thx.