Over-Exposed Darks

Discussion in 'STX and STXL Series Cameras' started by William Fenton, Jan 29, 2017.

1. William Fenton

William Fenton Standard User

Last night after a short exposure of M81 I did a 600 s dark frame and found every pixel to be saturated. Tried again with same results. Biases and light frames seem to be fine. Tried some different exposure times on darks and found that if I go down to one second the counts are around 49,000 with a noisy pattern. This was in a dark dome at night. Camera was cooled to -25 C. Tried CCDOps and The Sky X to acquire images with same results. The cooler was working harder than usual at 70- 80% because I did not accurately predict the ambient temperature in the dome. I tried some other temperatures this morning without a significant difference.

Because the biases and lights are OK I don't think it is a shutter or read problem. Obviously not a software problem. I have not shut down the camera yet (observing remotely) but plan on getting out there today to take a closer look.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bill

Camera: SBIG STX 16803

Last edited: Jan 29, 2017
  2. William Fenton

Here's a 0.1 s dark. Again Lights and Biases have many less counts at the same exposure time. Dark-0.100secs-1x1.jpg

3. William Fenton

Power cycling the camera seems to have solved the issue for now. Weird.

4. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Sounds like the RBI LEDs may have been active? Are you running the latest firmware and drivers?