Photometry tool crashes

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by Howard Trottier, May 10, 2016.

1. Howard Trottier

Howard Trottier Cyanogen Customer

Hi:

I've been trying to use the Photometry tool in Maxim DL Pro 6 to analyze a star cluster with several hundred stars (not a time series, but just one integrated image in each colour channel). However, when I reach about 100 objects tagged, the program always crashes - I've tried this at least a dozen times, and on two different computers. Is there an upper limit to the number of stars that the program can handle?

Many thanks for any help in this matter.

Howard.

2. Owen Lawrence

Owen Lawrence Staff Member

Hi Howard,

Sorry for the delay responding.

1. What version of MaxIm DL are you using? There have been a few fixes relating to Photometry in the more recent versions. Select Help | Check for updates...

I did a quick browse, and it does look like there's a hard-coded limit of 127 objects. (I'm not an expert on this tool, so it's possible I'm misinterpretting what I see. One guy here says there's no theoretical limit, but that's only for one narrow domain.) I did not get it to crash when I tried using the tool, so if you could help me with more input perhaps I can find and explanation.

2. Please send me a zip archive of your Documents\MaxIm DL 6\Settings folder.

3. As well, please outline in detail the procedure you followed to run into this problem. How many images loaded, mouse clicks in dialogs, menu selections, etc. Give as much detail as you can stand.

With your settings and procedure in place, hopefully I can reproduce the problem and fix it.

Thanks.

- Owen -

3. Howard Trottier

Hi Owen:

Thanks for your reply.

I have version 6.12 installed - and this was confirmed as the most recent version when I checked for an update.

I've attached a zip of my settings folder, and I've also attached two screen captures of the MaxIm window in the course of using the Photometry tool. The first screen capture shows the MaxIm window after I had tagged 100 objects and 4 reference stars, and the second capture shows the error message that was displayed after I clicked on the "Graph" tab.

My procedure was the following:

1) Analyze > Photometry > Add Files … > I loaded three FITS files, these are the R, G, and B channels for the same object (M67), classified by filter (these are the result of about one hour of integration in each channel, with darks and flats applied before registration and integration). The files were displayed in the Select tab as one object (Group 1), with one image under each filter folder. I'd be happy to send you the FITS files, though they are too big to upload here or via email (but I could send them to you using wetransfer.com for example).

2) I double-clicked on one of the images listed in the Select tab to bring it up in the MaxIm window. The file name bar included "[Position not established]" after the file name.

3) Match > Auto - star matching

4) Identify tab: I verified that "Apply to Group" and "Snap to Centroid" were checked.

5) I started tagging stars, using Aperture radius 14, and Gap Width and Annulus Thickness both 6. I tagged 100 stars, then tagged 4 reference stars. Immediately after tagging each reference star I input its B and G magnitudes from a RASC Handbook star chart, and arbitrarily set the R mag equal to G.

6) I then clicked the Graph tab. The processing thermometer increased in length for a few seconds, and then the program crashed.

Please let me know if there is any other information you need, or if you'd like me to send you the FITS files.

Many thanks,
    Howard.

Attached Files:

4. Francesca Childs

Francesca Childs Cyanogen Customer

I also had the photometry tool crash with 132 images. Then I went back and analyzed a smaller batch and it did not crash. Mine crashed at the same point after hitting the 'graph' tab, loading for a few seconds and then crashing. Did you end up finding a solution?

Thanks!

5. Howard Trottier

Hi Francesca:

I've been unable to solve the problem on my own, I'm hoping we'll hear back from Owen soon.

Cheers,
    Howard.

6. Owen Lawrence

Owen Lawrence Staff Member

Hi Howard,

Sorry for losing track of this thread. There was a fix in V6.13, so unless you have already tried it, please check for updates. There was a hard-coded limit that did not match another limit, so one array was allowed to grow while the other was left too small and was overstepped, leading to a crash.

The update should fix your problem; if it doesn't, please let me know. Please be aware, though, that if tagging 100 stars works, 200 may not. Another customer reported that 30 works (in V6.12). I admit that with more mature programming techniques there's no need for these limits at all, but this is a fairly old and brittle part of the program. It could benefit from an overhaul, which we hope can happen in the next major release.

- Owen -