PinPoint

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by RFA, Feb 26, 2019.

1. RFA

RFA Standard User

Dear colleagues,
    another question of a newby:
    When I do analyze the coordinates with Pinpoint. Maxim/PP starts analyzing, after some seconds it stops, nothing happens. If I than cklick on the window, in the header it shows "nepovida" which means "does not answer". I have changed the catalog to UCAC4 - it is always the same - Pinpoint Astrometry starts and freezes.
    What I am doing wrong?
    Where is the failure?
    By the way, I have installed PinPoint Pro.
    Thank you in advance for your help.
    RFA MaximDL-Analyze-Pinpoint-Failure.JPG

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

All Sky Search takes a long time; just wait for it. Ignore the "not responding".

If you have accurate Image Parameters (especially pixel scale and approx center) use the Process button instead. It's much faster - as long as your starting point is in the ballpark. And it's more accurate.

3. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

It can take a while to solve plates - and the speed improves if you have better starting data. MaxIm won't respond while PinPoint is running the solving, so this is normal, and can last for perhaps 60-90 seconds.

MaxIm DL Pro comes with PinPoint LE, and will work with the Visual PinPoint full version as well.

Have you correctly installed the GSC and UCAC4 catalogs?
    If you have the full version of PinPoint, there is a test utility that comes with PinPoint that will verify that the catalog is installed correctly.

The GSC1.1 catalog has stars from Magnitude 6 to 15. There is no point in searching from -2 to 18 as you have in the example screen shot above.
    UCAC 4 is mostly stars from magnitude 8 to 16.

You could attach a sample FITS image here (or use dropbox), and I could try solving it.

4. Doug

Doug Staff Member

5. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

I should have mentioned that the All Sky Search is dependent on Astrometry.net, an internet-based service. Andy Galasso's ansvr is a local network option.