Planetary Settings

Discussion in 'Image Capture' started by clupus, Aug 4, 2018.

1. clupus

clupus Standard User

Realizing that I don't have an ideal setup for planetary imaging (C11" SCT/SBIG8300C) I can't resist trying to image Jupiter and Saturn as they're so accessible at the moment. Even with shutter speeds in the 1/1000's Jupiter is still washed out. With Saturn I can get ring separation from the planet but the image is still washed out.

Any suggestions? Should I just throw in the towel and go back to DSO's?

Hank

2. William B

William B Cyanogen Customer

You could try cutting a temporary full-aperture mask out of cardboard, reduce the telescope's aperture by 25% - 50% will give you a bit more leeway with the minimum exposure time on the camera although the image resolution will also be reduced using this method.

For planetary, like most of my colleagues at my local astro club, I use a CMOS video camera (webcam) and 'lucky' imaging, stacking the video in free programs such as Registax or Autostakkert!
    With a CMOS camera in video mode they are much less sensitive than a cooled CCD and underexposure is more an issue than overexposure.
    Been a while since I tried planetary with a cooled CCD since the seeing here is too poor most nights for conventional 'CCD' single-shot imaging at long focal lengths.

HTH

William.

3. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Cyanogen Customer

Try using narrowband filters.