Plate Solve

Discussion in 'Image Processing' started by StarFox, Nov 17, 2016.

1. StarFox

StarFox Cyanogen Customer

Hello,

I am looking for a way in which to either automatically propagate WCS into the FITS header of images taken or to do so via use of a VBS script. Currently I have both the embedded PinPoint in MaxIm DL working and the program Visual PinPoint working to solve the images. I have also found ways to auto-propagate the image center into the FITS header so it would seems all I need now is the command to start the process running. I note in your documentation there is a MaxIm.Document class which has the Document.PinPointSolve command but I have been unable to get this working for images loaded into MaxIm either. Any help provided would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Jonah

graham.bell.77770 likes this.
  2. Bob Denny

Bob Denny Cyanogen Customer

DC-3 Dreams, SP, Mesa, Arizona +1 480 396 9700
    Visual PinPoint has an option to save the solved image and put WCS into it. MaxIm will also save the WCS after solving there. Are you looking for script code or ??

3. StarFox

I am looking for a method to automatically do this so that it either automatically solves the plate and saves it into the FITS header when an image is taken or it is coded to automatically solve as part of a data reduction pipeline before image stacking.

4. Bob Denny

Okay. There may be such a function in MaxIm. Our software ACP does this, and lots more.

5. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Autosave Setup, Astrometric Resync function, Solve Only mode.

6. StarFox

Bob, we have looked into ACP as one of the other observers at our institution uses it but unfortunately it is a bit beyond our price range.

In regards to your reply Doug I am not quite sure this is what we are looking for. I know where the autosave exposure preset is but I am not using it. Currently I have my own visual basic script that focuses the telescope slews it to a source changes the filter and takes images with the required dither pattern. I am looking for a line of code that I could add to this script such that before it is saved by the script it is plate solved. That is unless the vbs command I am using [cam.expose imageduration,1,filterselected] will automatically include the plate solve once this command is entered?

Thanks
    Jonah

7. StarFox

I have since found the work around I was looking for by working out how to define the MaxIm.Document object to correctly interact with the image I am after.

The [simple] code that it ended up being is:

Dim Document
    Set Document = CreateObject("MaxIm.Document")

Document.Close

Document.OpenFile("FILE PATH")

wscript.sleep 3000

Document.PinPointSolve

Do While Document.PinPointStatus=3
    Wscript.sleep 1000
    Loop

Document.SaveFile "FILE PATH",3,0,3,0

Document.Close

wscript.echo "Solve is Completed"

8. Bob Denny

You should trap errors on the call to PinPointSolve(). I will assume that MaxIm's layer on top of the PinPoint native API will pass along any errors. The error messages are detailed and often have helpful suggestions on mitigating the errors.

You could also buy a full license to s getting the API docs and extended API functions, assuming this is for just one observatory.