Problem with power supply ST9XE?

Discussion in 'Legacy Models - Community Support' started by Werner Hasubick, Oct 25, 2018.

1. Werner Hasubick

Werner Hasubick Cyanogen Customer

Some days ago I encountered the following problem doing astrometry of faint comets with my ST9XE: At the end of the observing session the background values of the individual integrations (and the normal signals also) fell to under 50% (normal values for my 20 second integrations are 800 or so and suddenly CCDOPS showed 300?). At first I thought of problems with switching between two cameras (ST9XE to ST4K to ST9XE without new start of CCDOPS) but during the next session the effect reappears, the background values also fell down at the end of the session sometimes during an integration series. I checked the cables (I use the power supply with extension cable for our Newtonian), restarted the power supply and CCDOPS, but the low background values didn’t disappear. I checked all input data for CCDOPS but they looked normally. Could this effect be the consequence of problems with a supply voltage or whatever other malfunction sources are possible.

Best regards

Werner Hasubick
    215 Buchloe

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Have you seen any anomalies with the ST4K, using the same power supply, computer, etc. as for the ST9XE? If not, then I would suspect an internal issue with the ST9XE.

3. Werner Hasubick

Werner Hasubick Cyanogen Customer

Hello Doug,
    I seldomly use the ST4K so I do not know the "normal" background values. The ST9XE is used every week. Does it make sense to test the camera with the power supply unit from the ST4K?

best regards

Werner Hasubick

4. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Honestly I doubt that is the cause, but since you have a second power supply available it makes sense to try it.

We have no ability to repair cameras of that vintage, because all of the parts used to make it are obsolete and no longer available.

It's possible that it might just need an adjustment, in which case Bill may be able to help you out. He's off until Monday, but you can email him at bill@sbig.com