Staff Assigned: Adam Robichaud Problem with Spectroscopy mode on ST7-XME CCD

Discussion in 'STF Series CCD Cameras' started by Stan Shadick, Aug 14, 2017.

1. Stan Shadick

Stan Shadick Cyanogen Customer

Please examine the attached image. It was taken indoors with the SBIG ST7XME exposed to ambient light.

It appears that the SBIG ST7-XME CCD is mainly properly seeing only a small portion of the CCD chip.

Any suggestions?

Is this repairable?

What is the problem?

Thank you.

Stan Shadick
    e-mail:

Attached Files:

2. Stan Shadick

I have attached 2 images.
    One image taken using MaxIm DL with binning set to spectroscopy and 1x1 appears to image only a portion of the CCD

The other image taken with binning set to on-chip and also 1x1 seems normal.

Is this a problem with the CCD or a problem with the latest version of the MaxIm DL Pro software?

How can I fix this problem so that I can use the CCD with the SBIG SGS spectrograph?

Stan Shadick
    e-mail: stan.shadick@usask.ca

3. Adam Robichaud

Adam Robichaud Lead Developer Staff Member

Hi Stan,

I'm sorry I didn't get back to you. I've been swamped with development work, and this fell through the cracks until a moment ago — when I was informed you called last week. I'm told you were put in touch with Tim Pucket. Was he able to resolve this issue?

Cheers,
    -Adam

4. Stan Shadick

Adam,

No, it has not been resolved. Please review my posts to the forum in mid-August.

Basically, I cannot properly download images from a SBIG ST7XME ccd when using MaxIm in spectroscopy mode at 1X4 binning. I am trying to use the system with a university class.

Stan Shadick

5. Adam Robichaud

I have never seen anything like this before... I don't think we have an ST7 on hand to test with (I'll be checking the warehouse a little later), so I'm going to have to test with a more modern camera. I'm going to run the investigation after a few morning chores.

6. Stan Shadick

Do you have a fix for me yet?

Stan Shadick

7. Adam Robichaud

While in spectroscopy mode, you mention you're collecting in 1x1 binning mode. Is there some reason you aren't collecting in 3xN? I'm seeing some artifacts in the spectroscopy binning mode at 1x1 (though none as peculiar as the images you've provided) that disappear at higher binning modes. It appears to be a software glitch, and I'm working towards a fix.

8. Stan Shadick

I would like to be able to use spectroscopy mode at 1X4 binning (ie bin 4 pixels along y-axis). I believe the problem happened at that setting. I may have stated it incorrectly in the text of my question.

The only workaround I have found is to not use spectroscopy mode and work at binning 1.

Stan Shadick

9. Adam Robichaud

There is almost definitely a bug in the 1xN image acquisition logic at the MaxIm DL plugin level, and I'm working on a fix for it; but frankly, at 1x4 binning, there's no benefit to using spectroscopic mode. You're probably better off using on-chip binning. Maybe @Doug can weigh in?

10. Doug

Doug Staff Member

The only purpose of spectroscopic binning mode is to provide 1xN binning with N > 4. If you're only doing 1x3 then you don't need to turn on that mode.

11. Adam Robichaud

FYI, I have a potential fix for this compiled and tested. Are you interested in beta testing it?

12. Mike Poitter

Mike Poitter Cyanogen Customer

13. Stan Shadick

I would be willing to test it in a week or two after my students have finished using the equipment.

14. Stan Shadick

I don't understand this comment. For our SBIG ST7XME CCD, the MaxIm software does not allow me to change the Y binning to anything other than "Same".

15. Doug

Doug Staff Member

That is odd... we'll look into that.

Let me ask, though, what are you trying to achieve by using Spectroscopy mode? The feature is for 1XN binning... it doesn't sound like that's what you are wanting?

Bill likes this.