Problems Planewave CDK / AOX / STX16803 / STX Guider / FW7-STX

Discussion in 'Guiding and Adaptive Optics - StarChaser and AO' started by Don Elledge, Nov 3, 2018.

1. Don Elledge

Don Elledge Cyanogen Customer

I have a Planewave CDK 700 which is a Alt/Azimuth mount with a rotating focuser. I also have a complete STX /AOX setup on one of its ports. I also use Maxim DL.

My problem is that when Guiding with the AOX system the X/Y direction of compensation is very dependent on the Declination of the object being imaged as well as the orientation of the rotator. The system does not seem to take these differences into account for the mount pulses and direction.

Secondly the system seems to have a big challenge in recalibrating the mount compensation when I try to recalibrate for a specific rotation and object imaged. I do seem to get a bright start that stands out in the center of the field but only about 1 in 20 or 30 calibration efforts work.

My question is, can maxim DL be configured to figure out the direction of compensation based on location, subject being imaged and rotation. Is there a simple rule of thumb on how to figure this out and set x / y direction and stuff. If not, I need to solve the calibration problem where I need to find better stars for calibration that I guess are close to and use the same orientation of the items.

Any help here would be appreciated..

Don

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

The AO-X does not require recalibration as long as it's bolted to the camera.

The mount bumping usually doesn't require recalibration except on GE mounts when you flip over the pier. I have no idea how Planewave handles autoguider inputs on an alt-az mount with rotator. I think you had best ask them about it.