Problems with RAF files

Discussion in 'Demo User Tech Support' started by Roger Vine, Nov 28, 2014.

1. Roger Vine

Roger Vine Standard User

I have been trying to register a bunch of dark frames taken with a Fuji DSLR in RAF format using the set calibration dialog. Here's what happens:

If I try to select a directory containing RAFs and then select one of the generate options, nothing happens.

If I try to add a group and then add a RAF file to it, I get a warning dialog with no message. If I try to add a bunch of RAFs to a group, it crashes.

OK, so it doesn't support RAF files for calibration. So next I open each RAF in turn (they look fine) and save them as FITS; I try every option of bit depth and stretch/no stretch.

But when I try to register the FITS files for calibration, I get the same problem.

I should add that there's nothing in the log, even with debug logging enabled. Am I just missing some vital step before doing the set calibration?

2. Tim

Tim Staff Member

The likely cause is the image header does not contain information identifying it as a dark frame...so MaxIm DL treats it as a light frame by default. The only option is to open the image and add "IMAGETYP = Dark" to the header. As a dark frame, the header should also contain "EXPTIME", and CCD-TEMP" header keys to work properly.

The crash however, should obviously not occur. I will have one of our developers look into this further.

3. Roger Vine

Roger Vine Standard User

Thanks for your swift response, Tim. That fixed it - it just needed the IMAGETYP in the header. I'm back in business! Thanks again, Roger

4. Tim

Tim Staff Member

No problem.

Can you send one of your RAF images, and your settings folder so we can investigate the crash further? Your settings folder is located in "Documents//MaxIm DL 6"..just zip the entire folder.

5. Roger Vine

Roger Vine Standard User

Settings are attached, but struggling with the RAF as it's too big for the uploader, even zipped. Leave it with me and I'll try and compress it some more ...

Attached Files:

6. Tim

Tim Staff Member

You can upload it to our FTP server if you wish:

-----

-----

Windows XP:

You can login to our FTP server with these credentials to avoid transfer problems and size restrictions:

FTP Host Address: ftp.diffractionlimited.com
    User ID : anonymous@diffractionlimited.com
    Password : (NO PASSWORD)

To login, open "Windows Explorer", (Not Internet Explorer), and paste the following address into the address bar:

ftp://anonymous%40diffractionlimited.com:password@diffractionlimited.com

- Please *ZIP* your images, and use your name as the file name for the zip, i.e.: "myname.zip".

- Upload your ZIP file into the "INCOMING" folder.

- Once you upload your image into the "Incoming" folder, *NO* file will appear...this is normal.

- Please inform us when you have completed the upload

-----------------------

Windows Vista/7:

1: Click on Start button in Windows Vista/7 and then click on "Computer".

2: Click on “Map network drive”

3: "Map Network Drive" window will open. Now click on the link "Connect to a Web site that you can use to store your documents and pictures."

4: Now simply follow the step by step wizard to add a new network location. Select"Choose a custom network location" when given the choice of where to create this network connection.

5: Type our ftp address ftp://ftp.diffractionlimited.com and click "Next"

6: Check "Log on anonymously" then click "Next"

7: Once the wizard is completed, if it does not open automatically, click on the Start button in Windows Vista/7 and then click on "Computer", and you should see the FTP server listed under the Network Location. You can access it the same way you access any folder on your computer.

-----------------------

Third party FTP Clients such as "Filezilla" can be used to upload software to our FTP server as well.

https://filezilla-project.org/download.php

Once the software is installed, use the following credentials to connect:

Host: ftp.diffractionlimited.com
    User Name: anonymous@diffractionlimited.com
    Password: (NO PASSWORD)

Copy or drag your files into the window panel on the right to upload your files.

Once the files have been successfully uploaded, you will *not* see them in the Filezilla program but we will receive them.

Let us know when the transfer is complete.

-------

7. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Rather than trying to edit headers, the simplest way to use a non-FITS image as a dark frame is to manually set up a DARK group in the Set Calibration command. See http://www.cyanogen.com/help/maximdl/HID_PROC_SETCALIB.htm for information on how to set up a calibration group manually.