Resolved QHY5L-II guiding trouble

Discussion in 'Demo User Tech Support' started by dawgchamp, Jul 24, 2018.

1. dawgchamp

dawgchamp Standard User

I have spent the last ten days of my trial period trying to get this camera to produce images. No time under the stars yet, but all MDL produces is either a black screen or one with noise or hot pixels. Despite being able to focus on a house in the distance with PHD2, Metaguide, and EZPlanetary, I found nothing similar in MDL.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. After spending a lot of time with the trial version and seeing what it can do to simplify my imaging workflow, I really want to buy this program. But if it won't work with my camera I'll have to let the trial time-out.

Any help at all would be most appreciated. Thank you.

Eric

2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Cyanogen Customer

Can you share a screen shot and a FITS file from the camera? I have a couple of the QHYs. They work ok, not my favourite cameras though. I found their ASCOM and native drivers a bit iffy.

It might be that you've not figured out the Screen Stretch feature - worth reading uo in that.

3. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Are you sure it's actually black and not totally saturated? Since MaxIm DL is primarily designed for astrophotography by default it adjusts the screen stretch to make the background black. If it's entirely saturated it will end up looking black.

Please upload an image in FITS format so we can have a look at it.

4. dawgchamp

dawgchamp Standard User

You are correct, gentlemen. As I do with PHD2 to prevent saturation, I should've put a piece of foil with a pinhole in front of the objective.

An exposure time of 0.01" produced a proper image. I'm sorry to have troubled you both for something so simple and overlooked.

Thank you! Now if you could somehow fix our current Texas weather, I'd be most appreciative. I'm hoping it clears before my trial period expires.

Have a great evening.

5. Doug

Doug Staff Member

If you run out of time we can extend your trial.

6. dawgchamp

dawgchamp Standard User

Thank you, sir. Tonight is looking favorable, so I'm trying to be optimistic.

I will contact you if needed.