Questions regarding,SBIG SG-4 stand alone autoguider

Discussion in 'Legacy Models - Community Support' started by firas, Jan 14, 2016.

1. firas

firas Standard User

Hi all,
    I just purchased the SG-4 auto guider and I need to know some basic stuff about it.

First, is it somehow possible to run the camera on a mac OS X? If not and I installed the drivers and TheSky program on a PC, will I be able to use it with the PHD 2 guiding program on a mac? Is it compatible with PHD2 at all? (I know that it is ment to be operated with out a computer but I like to use my computer anyways)

What is the port 2C is for?

Can I preform drift alignment with it ?

and now a final but probably not so smart question but i am new to this. Can the camera be used for imaging beside guiding?

Thanks in advance. I searched the net and there aren't so many info about it. I appreciate any feed back.

Clear skies

/Firas

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

SG-4 is a standalone autoguider. You can't use a PC to guide with it. You can use a PC to help set up focus, and from then on the SG-4 does everything by itself.

If you want a computer-controlled autoguider, then you really want an ST-I.

3. firas

firas Standard User

Oh I see, when i read the menu it says that it is possible to control it remotely. What does that mean in this case? So basically i wouldn't be able to use it with phd right?
    Thanks for the answer Doug.

4. Doug

Doug Staff Member

You can control it remotely, but the SG-4 actually does the guiding. You can't use PhD with it.

5. firas

firas Standard User

Fine. I hope it is ok to ask another question then. The person whom I bought the unite from seems to have forgotten to include the SG-4 Interface Software! I only received the Allsky cd and the drivers for the serial cable. I checked SBIG current and archives software to see if I could download the Software for it but I can't find it. I did download the SBIG Allsky-340 and I managed to capture pictures but to do the focus procedure as described in the manual it is not possible since there is no calibrate button and the whole program seems deffrient from then on in the manual.

Is there anyway to obtain the original program? If not, what to do then?

Thanks for taking time answering my amateur questions.

6. Doug

Doug Staff Member

The CD-ROM has the SG-4 software under:

AllSky_SG-4\SG-4 Software Installer

7. firas

firas Standard User

Can't find it Doug! But I have to correct my self and say that the software that came with with unite called theSky not Allsky! Is this is the right CD-ROM? See picture.

Attached Files:

8. Doug

Doug Staff Member

That is not the right CD-ROM. There is another one.

9. firas

firas Standard User

Well, the other one is just for installing the serial cable called PL2303 installer! As I thought the there is a missing CD-ROM here. Is there anyway to obtain the the SG-4 installer from SBIG on line? It seems like am having a bad luck.

10. Doug

Doug Staff Member

When I find a moment I'll upload the files to our server and add them to the software page.

11. firas

firas Standard User

That is a great solution! Would you be kind and notify me here when the file is uploaded?
    Thank you so much Doug.

12. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Uploaded.

13. firas

firas Standard User

Thank you so very much Doug! This forum was a great help. I have download it now, and am waiting for a clear night to practise the set up process.
    Thanks!

14. firas

firas Standard User

Hello Doug, I wrote another thread about the SG-4 losing the star when I hit autoguide. Now I am trying to reprogram the camera as described in the manual but i am fairly sure that the BF2 firmware file that is needed to boot the camera is not included in the version you have uploaded to the site.
    Could you please take a look and see if it is so. And if I am wrong, where the file should be? I am sorry to trouble you by asking amature questions but am new to use this kind of system for autoguiding although I had a successful session with it, but now I need to calibrate again and booting the camera system seems necessary. That is to determine if the camera can be fixed with the rebooting, if not however, I am forced to send to it SIBG and see what is wrong.