?Random Shutter opening failures

Discussion in 'STX and STXL Series Cameras' started by Tim Carruthers, Aug 27, 2019.

1. Tim Carruthers

Tim Carruthers Cyanogen Customer

Hi,
    I have a STX 16803 that appears to randomly about 1 in 4 or 5 images take a dark frame when really it is a light frame of 10 minutes duration. I am using CCDAP to direct The SkyX (latest daily builds) . The FITS header confirms the camera has taken a 10 minute light frame through the correct (i.e luminance filter) but the frame looks like a dark frame . Could the shutter be intermittently failing to open for some light frames?
    Please advise.
    Thanks,
    Tim

Attached Files:

2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

That's very unlikely. Let's start by getting your camera drivers and firmware updated.
    Click the link below to download the latest SBIGUDrv from here, and install it.
    ftp://ftp.sbig.com/pub/SetupDriverChecker64.exe

Then update the drivers. I suggest your reboot after doing that.
    Update the camera firmware as well. Wait patiently for the update to successfully complete (could be a few minutes).
    Make sure to power off the camera after firmware update completes successfully.

After that's done, let us know if it works.
    If it seems to be failing, then best bet is to put it on the workbench (kitchen table) and have a look down the nose of the camera and take some images with CCDOPs or MaxIm.
    If all good then, then move on to the software.

3. Tim Carruthers

Thanks Colin. I have updated the driver and firmware and will see how it goes.
    Regards,
    Tim

4. Tim Carruthers

Hi Colin,
    I am now (with the latest driver) getting regular take image failed issues for the first time. Everything goes well for a few hours then the take image failure occurs.
    CCDSoft2XAdaptorCCDSoft Camera1:SBIG driver: Transmission timeout. Error = 30007.

I have reverted back to an old SBIG driver that I have kept on the PC and will see if the old driver fixes this issue.
    Thanks. Regards,
    Tim

5. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Tim, this sounds like a USB problem.
    Is the camera connected via Ethernet or USB?

If USB, make sure Windows Power Management - USB Selective Suspend is disabled, on all USB hubs, USB root hubs, and any extenders and USB/RS232 adapters, PCIe parents of the USB devices.
    There is a setting like [] Allow windows to turn off this device to save power.
    The problem you are now describing is a classic symptom of Windows trying to save power by shutting down devices that are actually active.

Reverting the driver is not usually a solution.

Trying Ethernet as an alernative to USB might be another way to test.

6. Tim Carruthers

Hi Colin,
    You are correct in suggesting that Windows power management could be at fault, but I do run a script/bat file with every PC boot up that ensures there is no USB power suspension. I have not changed the USB cables and run with an Icron hub that is working fine.
    I had no error 30007 previously and a cluster in quick succession with the latest driver and back to nil over the last three nights with an older driver....could be just coincidence, but I am happy that I have had 3 nights so far of dusk to dawn robotic remote imaging.... :)
    The dark frame issue seems to have gone away now completely.

Thanks very much!
    Cheers,
    Tim