Remote operation general question

Discussion in 'STX and STXL Series Cameras' started by Dave, Mar 20, 2017.

1. Dave

Dave Standard User

Wondering what folks are doing when operating their equipment remotely. I have automated my set up previously but now have a remote set up I am working on. My question is: do you leave the camera on all the time or do you turn it on remotely. My 6303 turns on when you plug it in so either I leave it on all the time or perhaps turn it on via some ethernet switch or similar. My concerns with leaving it on all the time are 1) fan continuously running and 2) I still do get timeouts with TSX occasionally, not as often as in the past but they do occur and the only way I can restore the camera functionality is to reboot it, meaning unplug the power. So I was curious what others experience was on this.
    Thanks
    Dave

2. Tim

Tim Staff Member

Since there are moving parts (fans), it is generally recommended to shut it down when not in use, if for anything, to extend their lifespan. If you are not going to be imaging for a long period of time, I would suggest shutting it down. Perhaps a *network enabled power switch* would be useful in this case.

3. JoshuaHufford

JoshuaHufford Cyanogen Customer

4. Bob Denny

Bob Denny Cyanogen Customer

DC-3 Dreams, SP, Mesa, Arizona +1 480 396 9700
    And the great thing about the Digital Loggers power strips is that, with the already available ASCOM driver, you can script them on and off.

5. JoshuaHufford

Yea the ASCOM driver does make it a great product for an observatory. Also, I would never rely on just leaving anything electronic on all the time at a remote site, it will at some point need to be rebooted by cycling the power.

6. EricC

EricC Cyanogen Customer

Do you have the "Web power switch"? There are a lot of products on the local Web page.
    Where is the ASCOM driver?
    Eric

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
  7. JoshuaHufford