[RESOLVED]MaximDL 6 / STXL-6303 Guider: all guider pixels = 0.0

Discussion in 'General' started by Larry M. Leitch, Sep 24, 2016.

1. Larry M. Leitch

Larry M. Leitch Cyanogen Customer

Hi,

My camera is a SBIG STXL-6303 camera with the built in guider camera.

MaximDL Version 5, will connect easily in Dual Chip Mode, take an image using the guide camera, and produce an image with non-zero pixels.

MaximDL Version 6 , will connect easily in Dual Chip Mode, take an image using the guide camera, and all pixels are 0.0! TOTAL BLACK.

All of this testing was done on the same computer.

All help will be appreciated!

Larry Leitch

2. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Larry, are you running MaxIm DL 6.13 ? Or what version specifically? You'll want to be on the latest. Have you downloaded the latest SBIG driver checker from www.sbig.com, and updated the drivers and checked / updated the firmware?

3. Larry M. Leitch

Colin,
    I am running version 6.11. I looked at the release notes for 6.12 abd 6.13. They did not mention any changes for my camers.
    SBIG drivers are up to date.

I did get this email:
    Correct, with current version of MaximDL you cannot take a picture on the Imager tab when you select the guider (camera 2).
    Also, on the Guider tab you cannot take a picture with the imager.
    Submitted this on the support forum many weeks ago, should be resolved in the next update. I hope it comes soon, I use an STT-3200ME.

Best regards,
    Geert Vandenbulcke

Thank you for your help.

Larry

4. Tim

Tim Staff Member

The STXL-6303 does not have an internal guide camera, only the STX-16803 does. Are you using a remote guide head plugged into the STXL-6303 or is it actually the STX-16803?

On the "Setup SBIG Universal " window, do you have "Guide Chip" set to "Internal", or "External Remote"?

5. Larry M. Leitch

Tim,

You are right; the camera does not have a built-in guide camera. The filter wheel is the FW8G-STXL. The guide camera is in the filter wheel assembly.
    Your solution to the problem is correct - set "Guide Chip" to "External Remote" not "Internal".

I have been using (trying to use) the TSX-CAO for the past xx months and have had trouble. It wanted to pick the brightest star on the chip (even if it was at the edge of the image) to be the guide star. This did not work reliably. Getting a guide star after a meridian flip seldom worked.

Maxim 6 uses three stars for guiding (as I understand it) and I hope that this will be a big help.

Thank you.

Larry Leitch