[RESOLVED] Possible Bad FW8G CCD

Discussion in 'STX and STXL Series Cameras' started by Richard Asarisi, Jun 13, 2016.

1. Richard Asarisi

Richard Asarisi Cyanogen Customer

I have been trying to get the stars focused on my SBIG FW8G-STXL with no luck what so ever. So I tired it with the moon and figured I would jog the scope around until the guider CCD lit up. Well it never lit up even when I was pretty sure I was directly on it. So I removed the camera from the scope and brought it in the house. Connected directly to the laptop running CCDOps - a bright light shining directly on the pick off mirror/ccd I expected to see pure white. I see pure white on the image ccd but nothing blackness from the guider ccd. I suspect there is some kind of issue with the guider CCD of some sort. The regular CCD works fine.

Bought with my 11002 from OPT in March.

How do we proceed?

Thanks

Rich

2. Richard Asarisi

I did some investigation and found that the little shutter that opens and closes over the guider ccd doesn't move when I tell it to take an image, also if I gently hold it open manually and light the ccd with a flash light I still don't see a white image. So that leads me to believe that if the HDMI cable sends the power and control signals to the guider circuity it may be a bad cable. For a couple bucks I ordered another from Amazon. I'll let you know the out come.

3. Robert Mueller

Robert Mueller Standard User

Richard,
    Same thing happened with my STT8300. It was purely mechanical and I sent it to Bill to be fixed. I could see how the shutter actuation was not working when I looked inside.

Sounds like you may have ruled out a mechanical issue?

Robert Mueller

4. Richard Asarisi

Hey Robert
    Yeah even if I hold the shutter open manually it still give me nothing on the ccd. I'm thinking there is no power getting to it. I have a new cable coming, I'll see what happens.

5. Doug

Doug Staff Member

If the replacement cable doesn't solve the problem, then you'll need to send it in to Bill.

6. Bill

Bill SBIG Service and Repairs Staff Member

Also, flashing a bright light directly at the ccd doesn't always give a white image.

7. Richard Asarisi

Thanks Bill I believe that, but in this case I opened the cover and observe 2 things, with CCDOps set at focus 3 sec exposure for the guider ccd I never see the shutter on that little stepper motor open or close, and the image never changes in brightness with the light on the ccd just black and noise. even if I hold the shutter open manually the image doesn't get any brighter. I suspect there is no power getting to the thing whatsoever. I might believe that the image isn't pure white if I saw the shutter moving, but it doesn't move at all.
    Ohh I do see the shutter for the main imager opening and closing but I don't see the small shutter for the guider moving at all.
    Cable will be here tomorrow, but I don't think it the cable, we'll see.

8. Richard Asarisi

Here is some more information, when I first power the camera up the little shutter on the guider ccd moves open and closed. After that it never moves again that I can see. I set the imaging chip to be the guider ccd and hit focus - I never see the guider shutter open or close but I do see the main imager shutter open and close in time with the settings I use.
    You know I seem to recall that this was working - before I updated to the the latest firmware and drivers. Hmm is there a way to roll back?

9. Bill

and you have External Guider selected? I don't know how to roll the firmware back offhand but I believe I have instructions back at my shop. Send me an email at bill@sbig.com and we can work it through there. The cable is a good first check and may save your gear a trip to California. If it doesn't, no harm done.

-Bill

10. Richard Asarisi

Bill - You said the right word! EXTERNAL! Some how it was set to internal - moved to external and Wham it works like a charm!
    Sorry for the trouble - Looks like it was user error. But at least it was and easy one to fix! Thanks for your help!

11. Bill

Excellent! You're welcome.

-Bill

12. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Good sleuthing Bill.