[RESOLVED]Readout mode greyed out (Disabled) in Maxim DL when ising with Andor CCD

Discussion in 'Demo User Tech Support' started by Aum Shethia, Aug 18, 2016.

1. Aum Shethia

Aum Shethia Standard User

I have connected Andor iXon EMCCD 888 with Maxim dl, i have installed drivers in the Maxim dl software directory and Maxim dl can detect the ccd fine. When i click on discover, i see my ccd model number but when i go to "expose" tab, the "readout" is grayed out (Disabled). Please help me how to enable the readout speeds since this ccd has multiple readout rates.
    Also help me from where can i change the EMCCD's gain values?

Thank you.

2. Tim

Tim Staff Member

If you hover your mouse over the Readout Mode box, it should tell you why it is grayed out, and how to enable it. The most common reason is that you have "Autosave" set on the Expose tab. You can only set readout mode for Single or Continuous exposures.

All camera specific settings are on the "Camera Control" window, "Setup" tab. Click the "Setup Camera" button and select the "Advanced" button. There are further details in the users manual here:

http://www.cyanogen.com/help/maximdl/Andor.htm

3. Aum Shethia

Dear Sir, everything else works very well since i followed the same procedure as mentioned in user manual. in advance tab i can see the read rates (read speed frequencies), vertical shift rates etc, the camera is getting detected and cools down normal. however the read rates visible are for EM mode only and not for conventional ccd mode. secondly i could not find the gain settings (to apply gain values like x 100 times or x 800 times etc).
    Thank you very much for your prompt reply, i shall look into "auto save" settings tomorrow since my lab is closed for the day.
    Just to double check with you, can i rule out mismatch of any drivers of Andor required to run this iXon ULTRA 888 ccd ? Hope this ccd is fully supported by maxim dl, please confirm this to me.

Thank you once again, have a great day!

Aum Shethia
    India.

4. Aum Shethia

Dear Sir,
    I just checked my settings for Auto save, its not set by me. I am operating it on single exposure setting only, still the readout mode tab is disabled. My primary purpose is to find the option from where i can apply gain settings and make the EMCCD camera run on EM mode or Conventional CCD mode. I would be really very grateful if you could help me were can i apply these settings.

Attached is the datasheet of the EMCCD i am using and plan to purchase the latest version of Maxim dl if it serves my purpose.

Attached Files:

5. Adam Robichaud

Adam Robichaud Staff Member

I've sent you a private message with a beta-version of our Andor Tech plugin that should give you control over the EMCCD features of your camera. Don't hesitate to contact us if you encounter any issues.

6. Aum Shethia

Hello Sir,
    Thanks a ton for your help!
    The plugin worked well and EM settings were visible. Cheers to Diffraction LTD team!

Adam Robichaud likes this.
  7. Lauchie Scott

Lauchie Scott Cyanogen Customer

I think there's been an update on the EMCCD driver. Would it be possible to get a copy? I believe that shutter control should be enabled on the Andor iXon 888 now.

8. Adam Robichaud

Adam Robichaud Staff Member

Hi Lauchie, please check your private messages.

Cheers,
    -A

9. Tolga

Tolga Standard User

Hi there I also have an Andor iXon 888 and trying use within MaximDL 5. Would it be possible for you to send me the latest driver that you mention in this post.

regards
    tolga

10. Tim

Tim Staff Member

Beta versions, and updated camera support is only available with a current MaxIm DL Pro subscription. You will need to update to version 6 to receive the latest AndOr plugin.