[Resolved] STXL 6303E failure

Discussion in 'STX and STXL Series Cameras' started by Eric Dose, Mar 28, 2019.

1. Eric Dose

Eric Dose Cyanogen Customer

My STXL-6303E + filterwheel just failed after running fine for months, including the previous night.
    • MaxIm DL reported "Driver error: 8" on the first try, and "Establish Link Failed: 1" on the second try.
    • CCDOps5, on Establishing Link to Camera responded "No camera could be found..."
    Nothing physical changed--I haven't been within 100 miles of the camera. No software or drivers changed. Windows 10 Pro, MaxIm, drivers etc are all up to date. USB Suspend is off and Windows Device Manager displays that all is well. There is no hub or any other device between PC and camera. Everything worked fine 20 hours ago.

So:
    (1) Should I drive out and grab the camera, then ship it to Bill?
    (2) Where is the secret cache of STXL Error numbers?--it's neither online nor in my manual for the camera.

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

3. Eric Dose

Already done that. Nothing changes. Device Manager still displays that all is well, but CCDOps and MaxIm refuse to link.

4. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Run the SBIGDriverChecker and update drivers. Then check it again.

If that doesn't help, try to do a firmware update. It's worth a shot.

If that doesn't help, then go back to a previous Restore Point in Windows 10. It's entirely possible that Windows Update has borked your machine. I've had it happen myself. Microsoft has really jumped the shark on updates these days; even when an update doesn't fail due to lack of sufficient testing, they randomly fail on individual machines for no known reason.

Last thing to try is plugging the computer into a different root hub on the PC, or into a different computer altogether. If that doesn't work then it probably has to go to Bill.

5. Eric Dose

Well, the drivers etc were all installed fresh just a month ago, and Bill just did a firmware update a few months ago. Not sure I can even get a connection to try firmware updates.

I can try the Restore Point, although Windows Update has been Paused for weeks, so I know for sure it is not Windows Update.

Whereas replugging etc requires a 100-mile drive tomorrow. Again, nothing physical has changed, not power, USB, anything, since previous night when it worked normally. The PC has been on continuously.

EDIT: drivers were indeed all up to date. Firmware stxga.bf2 (only) called for update 2.53 to 2.54, and it did take the update with "Camera Firmware Updated OK." After powering down 10 seconds and back up, it connects to MaxIm (!). OK then. I'm not sure what happened, as Windows Updates had definitely been Paused, which I just verified.

But I'm starting my ACP run with fingers crossed. Thanks!

EDIT 2: Let's declare this fixed. 12 minutes into ACP run, both chips and filter wheel seem to work normally, images normal, guiding fine. It appears to have been the firmware. I'm surprised it took the update, and I'm surprised a minor version change made such a radical difference. In any case: thanks again.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2019
  6. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Glad to hear you’re up and running!