Running an SBIG ST8-XE from MaximDL

Discussion in 'Image Capture' started by Clif Ashcraft, Nov 20, 2014.

1. Clif Ashcraft

Clif Ashcraft Cyanogen Customer

I own an SBIG ST8-XE camera that I used to run using drivers that came with the camera and CCDOPS on an older computer running no longer supported windows operating system. I have not used the camera in a couple of years and I would now like to use it on a new computer running Windows 7 (64 bit).

1) I was able to download version 5 of CCDOPS from the SBIG software archive, but have not found where to get the 64 bit driver for my camera. Can you help me find the driver SBIGUDrv.dll ?

2) Can I use MaximDL to run the camera instead?

Clif Ashcraft, Perrineville, NJ

2. Manfred Schwarz

Manfred Schwarz Standard User

Hi Clif,

You can download SbigDriverChecker64 from:
    http://www.sbig.com/support/software/

You need the driver for each software.

Please look also on my website for SbigControl software.
    www.astrophoto.at

Regards,
    Manfred

3. Clif Ashcraft

Thanks Manfred. I did download SbigDriverChecker64 yesterday, but when I ran it, I managed not to do it properly. Today, I succeeded and I now have the drivers installed and CCDOPS works on my Win7 computer!

Another question: I have a calibrated FITS file created using MaximDL from a set of images I took with my Orion SSDSI color imager last night. I tried opening the file with CCDOPS (I wanted to use the crosshair tool to do some double star separation and position angle measurements), but CCDOPS told me it was not a recognizable file. It opens fine in MaximDL and jpegs of the image saved in MaximDL open in CCDOPS. Am I seeing an artifact of the time when SBIG and Diffraction Limited were competitors? Other programs that load FITS files seem to open the MaximDL created FITS files ok.

Clif Ashcraft

4. Doug

Doug Staff Member

We've never been competitors! Quite the opposite.

If you save from MaxIm DL in compressed FITS format other programs can't read it. Also I don't think CCDOPS can handle floating point FITS files. It may also have some other limitations such as header format. It was designed to run SBIG cameras, not to be a general purpose imaging program.

5. Clif Ashcraft

The FITS file was saved from MaximDL as an uncompressed file. It was made from a set of raw undebayered shorter exposures with the SSDSI color camera and color converted during the calibration and stacking process. In addition to the FITS file, I also saved TIFF and JPEG files of the image. Those were opened and displayed in color by CCDOPS. Now I am looking for the tool (which must be in there somewhere) that will let me measure separations and position angles in MaximDL. I can get magnitude measurements, but haven't gotten the full functionality of the crosshair tool of CCDOPS yet.

6. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Separation and position angle are available in the Information window, Area mode.

As far as I know CCDOPS doesn't have a general-purpose FITS import capability; it can read files that it wrote, but sometimes can't read files from other souces. MaxIm DL was designed to accommodate as many "foreign" FITS files as possible, because it's a general purpose imaging program.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2014
  7. Jan Soldan

Jan Soldan Cyanogen Customer

Clif,
    it is relatively easy to write data in FITS file format, but there is no one program on the Earth, which would be able to read all FITS formats.
    Of course, I am talking mostly about FITS extensions. I think, SBIG FITS stores its image data in 16 bit signed format only, and there may also be some problems
    with reading and interpreting some FITS header's keywords if you want to read FITS produced by Maxim DL.
    Jan

8. Clif Ashcraft

I found the rectangle dragging method in the area mode, but that seems to depend upon how well you locate the tip of the arrow when you create the rectangle. Calculating the separation and position angle based upon centroids like CCDOPS does it is quite a bit better. Guess MaximDL doesn't do that...

9. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Currently, no. We'll put it on the wish list.