Resolved SBIG DriverChecker?

Discussion in 'STF Series CCD Cameras' started by Mike Poitter, Jul 21, 2017.

1. Mike Poitter

Mike Poitter Cyanogen Customer

I cannot seem to get the "SetupDriverChecker64" software - I got the "404" error. I do have an older version (version 4.0 build 13) but the link under the "exremely important" warning does not work as well. I also was able to snag a copy of "SetupDriverChecker64_v4.79_b1" via ftp, but that also has a broken link under the "extremely important" warning. So how am I screwing up this time?

Mike

2. William B

William B Cyanogen Customer

Mike,

Go to the cameras page of the Diffraction Ltd website, select your camera model and open the downloads tab, scroll down until you find the driver checker link and download the file.

Uninstall the current driver checker using add and remove programs in Windows settings then run the new installer.

The cameras page is here: http://diffractionlimited.com/products/cameras-accessories/

Just checked the link and the software downloads ok for me on both Mac and Windows.

The curent version for 64 bit Windows is 4.03 build 5 (though when you launch the program it says it is 4.03 build 4 but it works ok)

If still having problems clear the caches in your web browser and try again.

William.

3. Mike Poitter

Mike Poitter Cyanogen Customer

Thanks William - but there is no link there for the ST series cameras (using an ST8xme). I just went ahead and ran the DriverChecker - I was mostly concerned about the big bold "Extremely Important" warning and the link that led nowhere.

MIke

4. William B

Hi Mike.

For the older USB cameras the SBIG driver checker download is here in the archive pages:
    http://diffractionlimited.com/support/sbig-archives/

The direct download links are below.

SBIG Driver Checker (Windows)

and

SBIG Driver (OSX)

These are the same versions as current for the latest models and for Windows the current version is 4.03 build 5 (though when you open the program it says it is build 4)

If the 404 error was when trying to follow the link in the "Read Me" document under "Extremely Important" (http://archive.sbig.com/pdffiles/Installing64BitUSB.pdf) then this is an uncorrected bug in the driver checker. Diffraction moved all their documents to a new server and the "Read Me" link has not been updated yet to reflect the move. I did a search of the other archive documents and can't find a copy of "Installing64BitUSB.pdf" anywhere so maybe this document no longer exists.

William.

5. Doug

Doug Staff Member

You should use the current version of the SBIG Driver Checker for your ST8-XME. It is a USB camera.

The old version is only for parallel port cameras.

The correct download is ftp://ftp.sbig.com/pub/SetupDriverChecker64.exe

6. Backyardastronomer

Backyardastronomer Standard User

Greetings

I have been unable to download the most recent SBIGDriverchecker from this website camera page or any of the above posted link. Is there another way?

I was recently forced to upgrade to Windows 10 and now my STF-8300C and STi cannot find driver via the old driver checker (circa 2011 or so). My ST 8300M is working fine.

Please advise.

Thx

Gerhard

7. William B

Hi Gerhard.

The problem is that the Microsoft Edge browser that is standard in Windows 10 can not connect and download from a ftp server which is where Diffraction Ltd place the software.

The easiest solution is to use the old Windows Internet Explorer, it is still built into Windows 10 but it is hidden away, type Internet Explorer into the search box on the bottom tool bar and open the IE Explorer from the pop-up list then use IE Explorer to navigate to the SBIG Driver checker program.

Alternatively, install Chrome or Firefox browser on your Windows 10 machine and then use that browser to download the SBIG Driver checker.

William.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
  8. Backyardastronomer

Backyardastronomer Standard User

William

Excellent - all my cameras are now working properly !

Appreciated :)