SBIG FWG STLX serial connector

Discussion in 'Filter Wheels' started by Frank Vuijsters, Sep 24, 2016.

1. Frank Vuijsters

Frank Vuijsters Cyanogen Customer

Dear SBIG,

Four of five threads of the serial connector of my SBIG FW8G STLX has come loose.
    I do not know the full sequence of the threads anymore. the right one is the white one and I know that
    yellow is the left one. I think that green is left to the white one but I do not know where the orange and purple come from. I think the course was that the glu on the cable did not do it's job.

could you give me please the correct sequence of the threads please,

best regards, frank.

2. Tim

Tim Staff Member

Are you referring to the connector inside the filter wheel that connects to the circuit board? The correct order for that is:

Header Pin DB9 (Female)
    Pin 1..............Pin 3
    Pin 2..............Pin 4
    Pin 3..............Pin 8
    Pin 4..............Pin 5
    Pin 5..............Shield

The correct colors may vary based on the cable manufacturer. So it is best to use the pinouts above.

3. Frank Vuijsters

Hi Tim,
    thanks for your reply and yes, I'm referring to the connector coming from the camera and goes inside the filterwheel coming from the camera
    but if I look to the circuit of the threads from the female connector then I have the following sequence:

Pin3 is connected to the yellow thread (that gave me hope)
    Pin4, Pin8 and Pin5 are empty and
    Pin1 I have a thread (red), Pin2 an other thread (purple one) and the last from Pin7 (on which a green thread is connected).

I count the pins on the female connector as follows:
    Pin1, Pin2, Pin3, Pin4, Pin5
    Pin6, Pin7, Pin8, Pin9

Am I missing something, because I can not match the Pins,

thanks for your patience, frank.

4. Tim

Tim Staff Member

I am not sure how you are determining the colors and pins, but they are not right.

Pin numbers on the female connector are not arbitrary. They are actually numbered, and written on the front of the connector itself. My pin numbers for this are:

Pin 5, Pin 4, Pin 3, Pin 2, Pin 1
    Pin 9, Pin 8, Pin 7, Pin 6

Colors for the above pins are;

Pin 1 - Black
    Pin 2 - Grey
    Pin 3 - Yellow
    Pin 4 - Purple
    Pin 5 - Orange
    Pin 6 - Red
    Pin 7 - Brown
    Pin 8 - Green
    Pin 9 - Blue
    Shield - Bare wire

There are no empty pins coming from the DB9 connector, but some may have been trimmed off because they are not used. Simply match up the correct color wires with the header connector.

Assuming the cable is the same as mine, and the colors are the same, the wires to the header would be:

Yellow - Pin 1
    Purple - Pin 2
    Green - Pin 3
    Orange - Pin 4
    Shield - Pin 5

That said, this is the pinout for *MY* cable. I can not guarantee you have the same brand of cable. If you can not determine which pins are which, and you get it wrong...you could damage your filter wheel. In that case, I would highly recommend you simply purchase a replacement cable.

5. Frank Vuijsters

Hi Tim,

Now I see the mis-understanding> You are right about the numbering ( and also being in the front of connector)
    but in the manual of the camera (6303 STLX) the sequence of the numbering is mirrored (like I communicated in my previous mail) because it is the male part ......
    thanks, now I can work out, frank