SBIG Linux drivers

Discussion in 'Scripting and Programming' started by Jasem Mutlaq, Dec 6, 2015.

1. rlancaste

rlancaste Standard User

Sorry Stanley, I misunderstood what you were looking for. You stated the Linux driver. You definitely don't have to download Linux to install the INDI driver on your Mac, since it is already a unix based system.

The Mac Version of the INDI driver is included in the Mac version of KStars , which is a free astrophotography program that works on Linux, Mac, and Windows which you can download here: https://edu.kde.org/kstars/

KStars can server up the camera to other programs like PHD2, Cartes Du Ciel, and others.

It should also be in the Mac App INDIServer for OS X, which you can find here: http://www.cloudmakers.eu/indiserver/
    But I don't know if the SBIG INDI driver in the cloud makers INDI Server has been updated to the version that I modified recently to include firmware uploading.

Hopefully this was more helpful than my last answer,

Rob

2. Stanley Fertig

Stanley Fertig Cyanogen Customer

Thanks again, Rob. I really do appreciate your taking the time to respond to me so quickly and the effort you’re making to understand my unclear messages.

So…to be perfectly clear (as Nixon used to say!):

1. I already have kStars up and running on my iMac. No issues.

2. Yes, the latest version of kStars/INDI includes native support for the SBIG cameras via the SBIG Universal driver installed on the system, in this case, my iMac. The SBIG camera/kStars connection is not a problem.

3. My issue is with the Filter Wheel. the most recent version of kStars/INDI library does NOT include support for the SBIG filter wheels, as opposed to the cameras, via the same mechanism. Instead, I found this page (http://www.indilib.org/devices/ccds/sbig-ccd.html) which has instructions for downloading (through Ubuntu) and installing another(?) driver which purportedly includes support for the SBIG filter wheels—unless I’ve misunderstood completely. (sigh)

To be honest, I haven’t yet tried to physically connect my camera & filter wheel to kStars yet, for they are in a mountain cabin two hours from here, with my big scope. But in the kStars Device Manager, you can’t choose SBIG for the filter wheel in any case; you can choose many of the other brands (FLI, Atik, etc.) which are supported. You CAN choose the SBIG camera but not an SBIG FW--(which makes zero sense to me given that most people wouldn't use a monochrome CCD camera without a filter wheel). I had understood that perhaps installation of this other driver might solve that problem; but I can’t find the driver w/o installing Ubuntu!

Sorry for running on but I want to be as clear as possible.
    Any suggestions?
    Many thanks again,
    stan

3. rlancaste

rlancaste Standard User

Hi Stan,

I'm not sure about this statement : "does NOT include support for the SBIG filter wheels, as opposed to the cameras, via the same mechanism." I have an SBIG camera, the ST8300M. It has an 8 position filter wheel. I can control this filter wheel with both my Mac and with Linux in the Filter Wheel tab of the SBIG driver in the INDI control panel in KStars once the driver starts up. The page that you linked: http://www.indilib.org/devices/ccds/sbig-ccd.html is just a description of the driver that is used on both Linux and Mac OS to connect to SBIG cameras. It is not another driver, it is the same driver.

In the profile set up in KStars, you select that you want an SBIG camera, you do not need to select a separate filter wheel in the filter wheel selection because the SBIG camera driver handles the filter wheels as well. KStars understands that the SBIG driver can do the filter wheel. Sorry if this is not clear. You do not need to install any other drivers.

Thanks,

Rob

4. Stanley Fertig

Rob, I believe you are right. I simultaneously asked the same questions on the INDI forums, and received a very similar response:

"Hello Stanley,

I just saw your message on INDI forum and sent it to Robert (our Mac guru). There isn't a separate filter wheel driver for SBIG, it's built into the INDI SBIG CCD driver. There is a tab (in INDI Control Panel, under SBIG CCD) called FIlter (or Filter Wheel). If you go there, you can connect to the wheel and it can then be used from Ekos. But I'm not sure if this works on Mac, so give it a go.

Regards,
    Jasem Mutlaq
    Ikarus Technologies
    https://www.stellarmate.com"

So I will give this a try next week when I am at the site with my telescope. Assuming both you and he are right, all I can do is humbly apologize for wasting your time, although they certainly could make this little fact clearer in the INDI documentation and UI.

Thanks again,
    stan

5. Stanley Fertig

I just had the chance to check with my scope and setup, and I can confirm that there is no separate driver needed for the filter wheel--kStars/INDI controls the filter wheel fine from your computer when you choose an SBIG CCD as the camera in INDI, the filter wheel control is built in. So it all works fine, thank you!

-stan in Brooklyn

6. John Wetmore

John Wetmore Standard User

Using the Linux INDI Sbig drivers on Ekos today, I found that the fan control is still not supported. Is there any time frame on when this might be fixed?

I did find that if you manually start the fan under say CCDSOFT Win version, and then connect to Ekos, the fan will stay on. However if you stop the fan under Ekos, you cannot restart.

I am running the SBIG control software under UBUNTU Linux.