SBIG relay box

Discussion in 'Guiding and Adaptive Optics - StarChaser and AO' started by Joe Wheelock, Jun 30, 2016.

1. Joe Wheelock

Joe Wheelock Standard User

I know this is old tech. but I am trying to connect an SBIG relay box to my Takahashi NJP mount which is a non-goto. I have tried using Maxim DL and PHD and so far no luck. Both programs will connect to my camera(QHY mono) but so far no luck with the mount. I do have ASCOM installed on my computer too if this helps.

Joe Wheelock

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

3. Joe Wheelock

Thanks! I will take a look at the manual. My camera does have an autoguider port and power for it is provided through a USB connection to my computer.

4. Mike Hambrick

Mike Hambrick Cyanogen Customer

What kind of camera do you have ? The output cable from the camera that plugs into the relay box must have a 12V DC and a ground (pins 6 and 5 on the RJ12 connector that plugs into the relay box). On my older model ST2000 camera, this 12V signal is there. On some of the newer cameras, you can set a jumper in the camera to get the 12V. However, I don't think that any of the cameras that are powered by the USB cable from the computer can provide a 12V signal in the output cable to the mount / relay box. I have been struggling with a similar problem getting my new ST-i camera to guide my old Astro-Physics mount through a relay adapter box. I have one more trick to try in the next week or so using an external 12V source. I will let you know how it goes.

5. Joe Wheelock

Hi Mike,

I was able to get the shoestring astronomy equipment to work with my mount. Thanks anyway.

Joe