SBIG SG-4 Setup

Discussion in 'Legacy Models - Community Support' started by Typhoon, Aug 22, 2018.

1. Typhoon

Typhoon Standard User

Dear colleagues,

I´m tried to calibrate de SG-4 autoguide and I have some doubts:
    I follow the manual steps, in my case I live in the north of Spain LAT N: 43 12 00 , LONG W 3 00 24,
    Then I calibrate the mount with the Polarmaster and I went to Altair and I began to found the proper focus manually for the SG-4, when I saw it was focus , I abort "take images" and I put the focus running, I choose a star that in the center was 36240 (is this ok? or have I pick up a star with less value?), and the focus meanwhile was running, and running a lot of time, after I while (ten minutes) I decided to abort the focus I dind´t know if this process finish automatically or I have to stop myself, or if something is wrong, then I began the calibration (File attached) and when finished I start autoguiding (file is attached), but the result was poor.
    Is somebody clarify what I´m doing wrong??,I´m getting crazy with this!!
    thank you very much!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
  2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Hard to say but the focus probably isn't good given your star's peak brightness is 1658 and total counts are 13449.

You used the word "autofocus" in your message. Was that a typo? SG-4 does not have autofocus. You need to manually focus first.

3. Typhoon

Typhoon Standard User

Sorry,
    I wanted to say that first I took images and focused manually and when It was ok I click "Focus".
    That means Doug that I have to look for a brighter star?
    Would you mind explain me the meaning of those numbers, how SG-4 Works? What does it mean
    peak brightness is 1658 and total counts are 13449?

Main post has been corrected.
    Million Thanks Doug

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
  4. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Your "SG4LogFINAL.txt" file shows NO movement in response to relay inputs. There may be a problem with the guide cable.

We recently found some defective cables from the last batch. They've been fixed but some may have shipped out with an incorrectly installed connector.

Can you post a picture of the cable, showing both ends clearly?

5. Typhoon

Typhoon Standard User

Yes of course, is Taka cable, my mount is a Takahashi Temma 2-jr

Attached Files:

6. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Oh, you're using a cable that came with the mount. In that case you might want to talk to the mount manufacturer. Make sure you have the guide rates set up, etc. I'm not familiar with the mount so can't provide advice on that... but it appears to not be working.

7. Typhoon

Typhoon Standard User

No problem Doug, I have been able to find the correct wiring and only two of them are correct!
    Probably I will cut and made correct conexion, thank you very much you have been the clue for resolve the problem, I hope with the new conexion the autoguide will perform well.
    On the other hand I asked you for another issue about the focus and peak brightness, I don't understand very well how it works the focus and the steps that I have to follow, would you mind explain me?

Thank you very much

8. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Please review the user manual for the steps required.

My observation was that the peak intensity was low considering the total ADU counts for the star. It suggests a soft focus. It may alternatively indicate an excessively long focal length for the guide telescope.