SBIG ST10XME showing constantly -152 degrees.

Discussion in 'Legacy Models - Community Support' started by artem, Oct 29, 2018.

1. artem

artem Guest

Dear all from SBIG TEAM,

Suddenly my SBIG ST10XME is showing in a permanent manner -152 degrees in SGP PRO..
    is this related to any driver issue or to SGP ?

Permanent manner means, at the moment the CCD is turned on and SGP is showing the value -152
    hence, the system is not cooling anymore..

And could it help ? if I provide to you any logs captures via SBIG DRIVER CHECKER ??
    r do you think the matter is related to SGP ?

Any ideas are welcome.. few weeks ago, the correct values were shown in SGP..

SGP = sequence generator pro

Thank you

Martin

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Try it in CCDOPS. If the problem persists then please contact Bill @ service.

3. artem

artem Guest

Thank you Doug,

I will try to find a copy of CCDOPS.. is there any special process I need to stick to ?
    and one question, are the MaxImDLObsoleteDriver needed where the SBIG CCD is only
    operated by SGP PRO ? I have this new LAPTOP and would rather only use the SBIG CCD with SGP PRO..

Do you think the OBSOLETE DRIVERS are needed to be installed beside the standard drivers provided with SBIG DRIVER CHECKER 64 ?? for the combination above ?

Thank you

Martin

4. artem

artem Guest

Did find CCDOPS Ver 3.11B4, Nov 2011
    hope the version is still good enough to make the functional test..

o_O

5. Doug

Doug Staff Member

No, use the current CCDOPS. That one is there to support the really old parallel port cameras. You can download the current version from the product page of any of the STF cameras.

MaxIm DL Obsolete Driver pack is not required.

6. artem

artem Guest

OK

Thank you Doug

Let me see if I can find one..

Cheers

Martin

7. artem

artem Guest

Did find the version 5.61 from the STF product page..

o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

8. Bill

Bill SBIG Service and Repairs Staff Member

That temperature reading is usually the result of an open thermistor. The thermistor becoming open is usually the result of it being corroded to the extent that the leads become disconnected (eaten away).

-Bill

9. artem

artem Guest

Hello Bill,

here is the result from the CCDOPS and indeed, also CCDOPS shows -153.65"C

That was not the case last week.. when I did have the same ccd in action with MAXIM DL..

See the FIT HEADER from the DARK FILE taken last week.. it was still showing correct tempretaure values..

SIMPLE = T
    BITPIX = 16 /8 unsigned int, 16 & 32 int, -32 & -64 real
    NAXIS = 2 /number of axes
    NAXIS1 = 2184 /fastest changing axis
    NAXIS2 = 1472 /next to fastest changing axis
    BSCALE = 1.0000000000000000 /physical = BZERO + BSCALE*array_value
    BZERO = 32768.000000000000 /physical = BZERO + BSCALE*array_value
    DATE-OBS = '2018-10-15T17:10:08' /YYYY-MM-DDThh:mm:ss observation start, UT
    EXPTIME = 10.000000000000000 /Exposure time in seconds
    EXPOSURE = 10.000000000000000 /Exposure time in seconds
    SET-TEMP = -20.000000000000000 /CCD temperature setpoint in C
    CCD-TEMP = -12.705067188926705 /CCD temperature at start of exposure in C

XPIXSZ = 6.7999999999999998 /Pixel Width in microns (after binning)
    YPIXSZ = 6.7999999999999998 /Pixel Height in microns (after binning)

The ony difference between last week and today is.. I did only exchange the descicannt and that is it..and suddenly the CCD shows at the moment connected -153.65"C..and one more issue, I did also send the CCD to a friend " very well packed " since he wanted to use it and see how " GOOD " the CCD is.. " you know, many dream of having one SBIG ST10XME o_O"

Is this a case which needs to be repaired by you Bill ?:D

Cheers

Martin

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2018
  10. TorstenMue

TorstenMue Standard User

Hello,
    thank you all (especially Martin!) for the fast and uncomplicated help. I´m the guy who is dreaming about having an ST10XME in the observatory :)
    After all tries with with different drivers and software, i'm also at the point, that this might be an hardware issue.
    Well, here at work, we have an electronics workshop. Repairs at this (and higher) level (Thermistor replacement) should be easily possible. But i would only try that check or replacmenet, when you (Bill) can give some instructions where the sensor is located and what type it is.

Another or may be related question according temperature: The camera gives also an environmental temperature. This value did also not change over the 2 hours yesterday evening. Always 25 degree, but it should read something around 19 degree. Is this a real measured temperature? Do you have any advice on this?

Cheers
    Torsten

11. Bill

The camera should come in for repair. Replacing the thermistor involves more than simply replacing a single component. The pickoff mirror and ccd have to be removed. Reassembly is a process of its own. Part of which involves small wire soldering, parfocal alignment, ccd cleaning and desiccant refresh.
    Send me an email, bill@sbig.com, if you're interested in sending it in.

-Bill

12. artem

artem Guest

Thank you Bill,

I will contact you directly for the repair service.. I think I will do that..:(
    the SBIG ST10XME is a very good ccd to leave it unused..;)

Still, very unusual, why one week earlier the CCD did work and then after sending it not " despite well packed ".. due to "open thermistor :oops:"
    could that be due to transportation ?? o_O

Cheers

Martin

13. Bill

I can only assume that the thermistor connection hadn't broken loose yet, if in fact this is the cause of failure. The symptom, a temp display of -153.65, indicates that there is no temperature being sensed by the electronics. This reading, -153.65, is the default temp display with no temperature sensor installed. Therefore, the camera isn't sensing the thermistor. Historically, when I've encountered this scenario, the thermistor has been corroded to the point that one or both of the small wires soldered to it has been eaten away. If this indeed is the case, I wouldn't be surprised to see corrosion on other parts inside that section of the camera as well.
    Why it worked a week prior? I can't be certain, things work until they don't. I'm merely relaying what I have seen historically regarding this symptom.

-Bill

14. artem

artem Guest

Happy Halloween Bill o_O

Martin

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2019
  15. artem

artem Guest

Did send you email with questions..how to proceed to send the CCD to you for service..thank you

Martin