SBIG STi intermittent connection

Discussion in 'Image Capture' started by robert tremblay, Feb 28, 2017.

1. robert tremblay

robert tremblay Cyanogen Customer

Hi,
    I'm using an STi / STF8300 ccd setup.
    Sometimes, whenever the telescope slew to another object,
    i loose the STi connection and get error 7.
    But the power led is still ON on the STi.
    Sometimes, using another uSB câble or reconnect the USB cable to the STi will solve the problem but not always.
    Is this a typical STi problem?
    i mean: always expect similar problem because of the poor quality of USB port/ usb câble interface?
    Should i need to attach firmly the USB cable that goes to the STi with a kind of stand to keep the cable straight toward the STi's usb port?
    The STi's usb cable is connected to a self powered hub together with the STf 8300. I never get such a problem with the STF. The camera's socket is not of mini usb type.

Anyone has similar problem solved?
    clear skies,
    Robert

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Are you using the cable that came with the camera? It has larger gauge power wires, compared to most off-the-shelf USB cables. This is necessary because the camera consumes almost maximum USB power.

3. robert tremblay

Oh!. Looks like i need to purchase a new cable with larger gauge as mine is standard one.
    Do you sell one of these on you web site? if not, just let me know wich brand it is. Ideally, a 6' length is fine. As far as i remember, every camera is shipped with 15' cable right?
    Robert

4. robert tremblay

I tried to find out on the STi user's manual the current power requirements but could not find the info .
    A good quality usb cable contains 28 gauge wires with a maximum current draw of .200 ma. Does the STi draws more?

5. Doug

Doug Staff Member