SBIG system error: 30032 in Win10

Discussion in 'STF Series CCD Cameras' started by Wally Mann, Aug 31, 2017.

1. Wally Mann

Wally Mann Standard User

STF-8300M and ST-I both affected, across both TSX and CCDOps platforms. Capture phase the only thing affected, where the exposure appears to timeout but download fails, and that's when the error appears. CCDOps returns a 100% black image, zero noise. TSX gives the error. Both cameras work on my other win7 system (slooowwww laptop). I have a debug log, that displays the foul, uploaded here. Pretty sure its a driver problem, as I had trouble deleting the sbigu64.sys . I'm out of airspeed and ideas..any ideas appreciated. thanks, Wally

Attached Files:

2. Adam Robichaud

Adam Robichaud Lead Developer Staff Member

This is an issue we've seen some Windows 10 users report. Sadly, it seems to be system specific and is a result of the Windows API returning garbage error codes (literally out-of-scope numbers that mean nothing). Because the API is returning an error, SBIGUDrv is unable to tell whether it's safe to proceed or not, and so it returns an error to the user... I'm going to look into some potential changes that might address the issue for you, but it's going to take me some time to implement.

3. Wally Mann

Wally Mann Standard User

Thanks so much Adam. You have saved me a lot time. I guess I will revert to WIN7. So I should keep watching this particular driver for updates, and give new one a try with WIN 10

4. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Just to be clear, this is a RARE situation with Windows 10 users. We use Win10 exclusively here, and not one of our machines does this.

My suspicion is it's yet another Windows Update screwup. Windows Update appears to be buggy in Win10 and sometimes an update doesn't work right.

One suggestion might be to roll back your system a couple of months using System Restore (restore point). Roll it back until it works. And then let Windows Update run again. Chances are it won't screw up this time.

5. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

Guys, I think that is a Software Bisque TheSky X (TSX) error code, as it adds 30000 to whatever error code the underlying driver is throwing, which in this case is 32.
    Wally mentioned TSX in his post.

6. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Error 32 is OS Error. I'll get Adam to look at the log.

7. Adam Robichaud

Adam Robichaud Lead Developer Staff Member

The 3000xx prefix in TSX is for a driver reported error, and xx is the reported error -- in this case, SBIGUDrv error code 32 (OS Error, as Doug described). I've already inspected the logs, and found that Windows is reporting error 0xe0000011 -- which is outside the scope of Windows System Error codes.

At t = 18.029: CC_READOUT_LINE : begin
    At t = 18.034: data : A5, 35, 01, 3B, 3E, 80, 00, 9B
    At t = 18.038: ReadComPipe : Ask/Got = 2/2 -> ACK
    At t = 18.044: data : 06, 00
    At t = 18.049: CCDDigitizeLine : Img/Row no: 1/1, cam=21, ccd=0
    At t = 18.054: left=28, len=1676, right=63, height=486
    At t = 18.058: onHB=2, offHB=1, onVB=1, offVB=2
    At t = 18.064: MicroInitPixelReadout : ccd=0, left=28, noPixels=1676, right=63, windowHeight=486, horzBin=2, vertBin=1
    At t = 18.069: MicroCommand : MC_READOUT -> RS subcommand: RS_DL_IMAGE
    At t = 18.074: ReadComPipe : Ask/Got = 2/2 -> ACK
    At t = 18.080: data : 06, 00
    At t = 18.084: MicroGetPixels : STF-8300 -> MicroGetPixelsFromChannelA
    At t = 18.089: MicroGetPixelsChannelA : pDllGlobals->leftSideFifoInfo.pixelsInFifo=0 < pDllGlobals->leftSideFifoInfo.rowWidth=1676
    At t = 18.093: MicroGetPixelsChannelA : pixelsLeft=4243632 = pDllGlobals->leftSideStf8PixelsToDownload=4243632 - pDllGlobals->leftSideStf8PixelsDownloaded=0
    At t = 18.098: MicroGetPixelsChannelA : download pixels to FIFO 1168896 bytes, 584448 pixels
    At t = 18.826: AsyncRead : Error: -536870895, ret = -1, Totals : dwSize/dwBytesRd = 1168896/163840, Short=1005056

At t = 18.834: ReadComPipe wr error : 0xe0000011 -
    At t = 18.843: -------------------------
    At t = 18.852: ReadPixelPipe : Channel A, Ask/Got=1168896/-1 [bytes], Short=1168897 <---- error
    At t = 18.859: MicroGetPixelsChannelA : download pixels to FIFO duration: 756
    At t = 18.864: MicroGetPixelsChannelA : Totals: Ask/Got = 8487264/0 bytes, short = 8487264
    At t = 18.869: MicroGetPixelsChannelA : Last : Ask/Got = 1168896/-1 bytes, short = 1168897
    At t = 18.873: CCDDigitizeLine : MicroGetPixels - 1st line, err = 32 - OS Error
    At t = 18.878: CC_READOUT_LINE : end, err = 32 - OS Error

Note the line in red: that's what Windows is returning to us. Even if we assume the MSB 0xe is some sort of flag set in error, the Windows Error Code for 0x11 makes no sense in this context, and can't even be thrown according to the Microsoft documentation for the offending function.

ERROR_NOT_SAME_DEVICE - 17 (0x11):
    The system cannot move the file to a different disk drive.

8. Wally Mann

Wally Mann Standard User

I figured it out! I did revert back to WIN7, but now I think that was unnecessary. The laptop is an ASUS U47A, 2xUSB2 and 1xUSB1. Supplied USB driver is a USB3. I found the cameras both work fine using a USB hub from the USB1 port, and not so on the USB2 ports. I tired to switch to a generic USB2 driver to lose the hub, but couldn't find one. My other SLOW laptop doesnt have this USB issue, and thats why it worked. Thanks all for your responses! Wally :)

9. William B

William B Cyanogen Customer

Probably too late now Wally but did you try the Intel Driver Update Utility?

Your laptop uses the Intel Chief River HM76 chip-set so if there is a later USB3 driver that is Win10 compatible then downloading and running the Intel driver tool should identify the latest driver and give you the option to install it if your existing ASUS supplied driver is superseded.

Ignore any graphics drivers that Intel may offer, the ASUS U47a laptop may use ASUS specific graphics drivers and installing the Intel recommended one may not be compatible with the display but all the other device drivers that Intel suggest should be ok.

You can download the Intel driver checker utility from the Intel download center here:
    https://downloadcenter.intel.com

Looking at the ASUS website here in the UK I can see that ASUS only offer drivers for up to Windows 8.1 and do not specifically recommend Win10 but the last time they updated the support page for that laptop was 2015.

In your last post #8 you say that your laptop has 2xUSB2 and 1xUSB1 but that can't be correct, the ASUS published spec for the U47A laptop is 2xUSB3 and 1xUSB2, USB1 was deprecated years ago and wouldn't have been fitted to a laptop built in the last ten years or so, I'm guessing this was just a typo in your post.

There are well documented known issues around some of the earliest USB3 port hardware on certain manufacturers laptops and PC's that were not fully backward compatible with all USB2 devices (cameras etc) that you might want to plugin....

If you ever decide to try Win10 again try the downloading and running the Intel Update Utility both before and after completing the Win10 installation, make sure that all the Win10 updates are installed, especially the anniversary update #1703 (KB4034674) since this update contained many incompatible hardware fixes.

Lastly, and rather counterintuitively, if still having no luck with the cameras plugged directly into the USB3 ports try using a new USB3 hub from a good manufacturer such as StarTech, plug that into one of the USB3 laptop ports and then plug the cameras into the new hub. Having the indirect camera connection via a USB3 hub to the USB3 laptop port often makes older USB2 devices work normally when they are plugged into the hub....no guarantees on that one though....it is a suck it and see.....best to try and borrow a StarTech USB3 hub from someone, or try it out in the store before buying since good quality StarTech hubs cost an arm and a leg!

HTH

William.

10. Colin Haig

Colin Haig Staff Member

In addition to success with Star Tech, 've also had good success with DLINK powered hubs that come with their own AC adapter, in case you are looking for an alternative.