Scripting Support for a Newbie

Discussion in 'Scripting and Programming' started by Igor Bednarek, May 29, 2018.

1. Igor Bednarek

Igor Bednarek Cyanogen Customer

Hello,

I am less than a newbie in scripting and request your help to write a simple MaximDL script that I would like be executed in Autosave mode after each exposure or set of exposures (filters). The script will do something like that :

Set Object=Current Coordinates
    Telescope Goto Star_Magnitude_6 ; RA/DEC target coordinates near Object
    Focus Autofocus
    Pinpoint Astrometry Solve
    Telescope Sync on recent solve
    Telescope Goto Object

I hope that this is clear :)

Thanks in advance for your support

Regards

Igor

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

3. Igor Bednarek

Thanks Doug I will try to learn by your examples which is not so easy :-(

By trying one of your script, and especially one including PinPoint command, I have got the follolwing error :"PinPoint LE si licensed only for use within MaximDL and MaxPoint. To use Pinpoint within this program, please purchased a PinPoint licence..."

I have the last release of MaximDL Pro. Does it mean that I can use PinPoint manally within MaximDL but not within MaximDL scripts ?

Regards

Igor

4. Doug

Doug Staff Member

We ship with PinPoint LE, a special version that we license from DC3 Dreams. You can only use scripting if you purchase the full version of PinPoint from them.

5. Maneesh Yadav

Maneesh Yadav Cyanogen Customer

Hi Igor,
    Do you have some basic programming knowhow?
    I have a scripting setup that I just took a messy snapshot of that you can take a look at:

https://github.com/mittimithai/maximdlscripts

"selectfocusstar.vbs" expects the clipboard to hold object info for the focus star copied from TheSky 6 and "pickles" it in a persistent file (transdict.vbs)
    "fmx_focus.vbs" is run in as a script with autosave, it will move the scope to the current focus star, use focus max to focus and then move back to the object. I generally only acquire during clear nights and don't need all the robustness of automated star picking, I just specify my focus star with my object.

This is a good setup for my purposes (you could just script the whole darn thing). You will likely need to customize it a bit (but the changes are small, e.g. using MaximDL's autofocus routine over focusmax etc.).

There are system specific settings hardwired in there (filterwheel position for L filter, directory for persistent store, telescope driver etc.) that you will need to change before using. I've noticed drift after a few movements, I haven't had a chance to test yet, but "Astrometric Resync" should fix it.

Hope this is useful to you.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
  6. Igor Bednarek

Hi Maneesh,

Thanks a lot for your reply. I just read it "by chance" because I did not receive any notification of your reply by e-mail :-(

Yes I have programming knowhow but not in the "ecosystem" of these scripts and it has been a long time that I did not refresh. But I can understand and adapt existing scripts :)

So thanks a lot for your rich examples that I will try to adapt and customize to my requirements.

In executing your "fmx_focus.vbs" script this is quite normal that you've noticed drift after a few movements. As you said astrometric resync should absolutely fix this drift. This is exactly what I would like to do in my script. The only concern - despite to develop the script :) - is to buy a PinPoint licence just to sync by scripting...

Anyway thanks again I will carefully analyze your scripts.

Kind regards

7. Maneesh Yadav

Maneesh Yadav Cyanogen Customer

These scripts only depend the presence of Pinpoint LE which comes with MaximDL. FocusMax needs full PinPoint to do automated "AcquireStar", I just pick the focus star manually.

EDIT: Just to make it clear "Astrometric resync" is called from the autosave box. So if you call fmx_focus from there, you don't need to worry about the full version of Pinpoint

Last edited: Jun 20, 2018