SG-4 question

Discussion in 'Legacy Models - Community Support' started by Peter_MYers, May 3, 2017.

1. Peter_MYers

Peter_MYers Standard User

Greetings to the SBIG specialty camera collective,

I have a couple of questions to ask regarding the setup procedures of the SG-4

last night was my first night to setup the SG-4 outside......following the manual I was able to produce the following two (2) log files.

Question #1).....interpretation of both log files
    available information to define the interpretation of the data?

Question#2).... regarding the auto-guide log file.....is there a way to "slow" down the scrolling of acquired data to review from the beginning...every time I try to scroll back up to the first line of the data acquisition it "scrolls" back down to the "newest" data points acquired....frustrating trying to review the information from the beginning.

Question#3).....after aborting the log file capture I decided to shut down and reopen the software a 2nd time
    I connect the camera to COM PORT 4 and it achieves connection.
    At this point do I need to acquire a visual image again ....or can I just "click" the "start auto-guide" button to initiate auto-guiding procedures.

Looking forward to receiving an answer to these questions.

The only good photon ....is an old Photon

Attached Files:

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

#1. The information is in the log file, as headers above the tracking data.

X Cent - X Centroid - measured star position in X (relative to tracking subframe)

Y Cent - Y Centroid - measured star position in Y (relative to tracking subframe)

Total Counts - sum of all pixel values in the star

X Err - measured X offset of star from center of tracking subframe

Y Err- measured Y offset of star from center of tracking subframe

Err Mag - measured X+Y offset of star (i.e. Pythagorean theorem)

Err Angle - angle of star motion in degrees

Relay # - relay number being actuated

Time(ms) - time that the relay is activated

Err Mag - measured X+Y offset of star (i.e. Pythagorean theorem)

Err Angle - angle of star motion in degrees

Relay # - relay number being actuated

Time(ms) - time that the relay is activated

Note that it reports movement commands for two relays on every correction. That's because it does the X and Y movements one after the other. Some mounts can't accommodate simultaneous corrections.

#2. Unfortunately that's the way the software was written. If you want to review the log holistically I suggest that you export it to a text file and load it into Excel (it's tab-separated so Excel will format the columns for you).

#3. The software is not even required for autoguiding! You can use the one button on the camera to start guiding.