SG4 guider with bluetooth

Discussion in 'Legacy Models - Community Support' started by Howard, May 19, 2015.

1. Howard

Howard Standard User

Hi

Can anyone help me ....

I wish to set up my SG4 autoguider with a bluetooth connection.
    My laptop is bluetooth enabled and is about 40 feet from the SG4.
    Do i simply need a RS 232 bluetooth transmitter plugged into the camera and then configure my laptop to communicate with this to be able to turn autoguiding on and off ?

Howard

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Probably, though you may have to experiment. Some bluetooth adapters can't run full speed serial, so you may have to adjust the baud rate first (there's a note on this in the product manual, although it's written for a specific bluetooth adapter model it should be more-or-less applicable).

3. Howard

Howard Standard User

Thanks Doug

What is confusing me is that the SG4 manual states the need to have TWO bluetooth/serial devices...master and slave..one for the PC plugged into a usb port and the other for the camera.

I need to know if this was written when computers were not bluetooth enabled thus the need for a bluetooth device plugged into the computer.

My laptop is enabled for bluetooth so i am presuming that i need only ONE bluetooth device plugged into the camera...however....the SG4 software asks for a com port when controlling the camera by serial cable....so how will i tell it to connect via bluetooth if there is no bluetooth device in a com port on the computer?

Howard
    :confused:

4. Doug

Doug Staff Member

You need to consult the bluetooth serial extender manual. The drivers in the PC may not be capable of handling a serial interface directly.