Significant amp glow with new STF-8300m

Discussion in 'STF Series CCD Cameras' started by jeff merrill, Dec 7, 2014.

1. jeff merrill

jeff merrill Standard User

Hi:

I just purchased an STF-8300m camera...I took it outside for the first time tonight to create bias and dark frames at -20C. There is a horrific amp glow in the left upper corner with 10 min dark frames. I checked..this is amp glow not light leak, having tried with the cover on and entire scope covered. Also, Nebulosity allows you to close shutter..so I tried that, it's still there.

I tried dark frame image capture using SkyX Professional, most recent build, as well as Nebulosity 3.2..it's the same with both. Both have a setting regarding fast readout...which was not selected on either during the testing.

Is there something that can be done about this amp glow? Shouldn't the drivers direct the camera to have the amplifier on only when image exposure is complete? I had just downloaded all drivers last week, and checked again tonight and it says my drivers are up to date.

jeff

2. Chris Rowland

Chris Rowland Standard User

You are almost certainly going to need to send in a raw fits file. There was some discussion of a file upload process here quite recently.

Chris

3. Jan Soldan

Jan Soldan Cyanogen Customer

Jeff,
    the STF-8300 controls its CCD Vdd itself, so any application has no influence on this setting. For other cameras, driver lowers the CCD's Vdd,
    which reduces amplifier glow, for exposures times >= 3 seconds. You can download my STF-8300 dark frame, exp = 600 sec., temp = -20 C
    and check it with your one: https://www.dropbox.com/s/hw39oo8npbzht89/stf_8300_DF_600_2.fit?dl=0
    Jan

4. jeff merrill

5. jeff merrill

I tried to update the firmware to 2.45, ga to 2.16, the first few frames looked fine, no amp glow, then after 6 exposures at 600 sec -20C, the amp glow was back.
    this is completely unacceptable to me. I've talked to others with the same chip..there is no amp glow in their setup.

I'm afraid that this is a defective camera. I think I need to get a replacement. It sounds like there is nothing else to try?

jeff

Last edited: Dec 9, 2014
  6. Jan Soldan

Jan Soldan Cyanogen Customer

7. Bill

Bill SBIG Service and Repairs Staff Member

Not so much a defective camera as much as a faulty ccd, that's what history would indicate.

8. Bill

Shows what I know... it isn't the ccd. Gonna have to dig in.

9. jeff merrill

Do you have the camera Bill? I returned it to OPT..still waiting on a replacement

jeff

10. Bill

yes, I have it.