Resolved Software Migration

Discussion in 'General' started by Madison J. Post, Mar 9, 2018.

1. Madison J. Post

Madison J. Post Cyanogen Customer

I need to move Maxim DL 6.13 from one laptop to another because the first one has problems. Maxim DL is my observatory's sole acquisition software, and I love it. I will not use the first laptop after the second is fully tested, but I'd like to keep my working version of Maxim DL on the first one as "backup" until I can retire it confidently. Do I need to download an entirely new copy of Maxim DL 6.13 onto the new laptop and use the original licence to activate it? This would involve a lot of hand-tuning of default parameters. I'd prefer to simply copy all software from the old laptop (from Program files directory??) and paste it into the same directory in the new laptop, avoiding re-entering my customized parameters. Is this possible, or will I have registry problems? Both laptop are Windows 10 machines.

2. Doug

Doug Staff Member

3. Madison J. Post

Thanks, Doug. I'll do as you recommend.

4. Madison J. Post

The only link I can find for downloading Maxim DL Pro is through cyanogen, which no longer works. Can you provide a download link so I don't have to pay full price for a new copy?

5. Doug

Doug Staff Member

The cyanogen.com link still works. You could use sbig.com or diffractionlimited.com also; they all go to the same place. I just tried it and it does work.

I'll send you the link again via private message.

6. Madison J. Post

It worked fine - sorry I thought I tried that exact URL, but w/o success.
    However, my new V6 is missing the top command line "File Edit View Analyze ... Help". How can I get that back - I need it!

7. William B

William B Cyanogen Customer

Bit of a long shot while you wait for Doug to reply, try pressing ALT and V keys together to bring up the View menu, then open the Toolbars menu and Customize then click the Menu tab and Reset.
    The top menu bar should not be removable and in the Customize Toolbars tab the selection for the top menu bar is locked and can't be deselected, all the other option toolbars can be changed so it sounds like you have hit a glitch in transferring your old settings across to the new laptop.

Maybe you have accidentally undocked the top menu and dragged it off the Maxim desktop in which case using the shortcut keys should reveal where it is hiding, ALT V, ALT F etc

p.s.. pretty sure it is ALT and V, at least is is on a virtual Windows machine running on a Mac, but the Mac keyboard is slightly different to Windows so if ALT and V doesn't get you in try CTRL and V.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2018
  8. Madison J. Post

Thanks William. I've tried all the things you suggested to no avail. I access those options by right clicking on the toolbar. I tried Alt + V but that does nothing but sound a gong. I appreciate the suggestions but will probably have to wait for Doug's sage advice yet again. I can find nothing on viewing (or turning off viewing) the command line in the manual.

9. Doug

Doug Staff Member

The menu settings are in the Registry. Open Regedit and browse to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Diffraction Limited\MaxIm DL 6\Settings

Delete everything under this folder. And nothing else.

10. Madison J. Post

There are 38 folders in the Settings folder. I can only delete those folders one at a time, unless I delete the Settings folder itself (which will effectively delete the 38 sub-folders but leave no Settings folder). Which approach should I take?

11. Doug

Doug Staff Member

Just delete the whole settings folder.

12. Madison J. Post

Before I saw your instruction I deleted each subfolder one at a time, then restarted Maxim. The command line was back, plus a toolbar for every command. I turned off each command toolbar one by one until I got the default screen back (command line plus one toolbar). I restarted Maxim and it had saved that setting.

So problem solved! Thanks again VERY much to both of you for your time and instructions.