ST-402ME driver problem on Windows 10 Pro

Discussion in 'STF Series CCD Cameras' started by Andrea Salati, Dec 1, 2016.

1. Andrea Salati

Andrea Salati Standard User

Today I received an ST-402ME (s/n 08073492) I bought from Adorama.
    They did not include the CD with the software and drivers.
    I downloaded the SBIGDriverChecker64 and I ran the Update.
    I then powered and connected the camera. The camera is detected and, if I open the Device Manager, I can see a group called SBIG USB Devices inside which is SBIG USB Camera With Firmware.
    I forgot to mention that the fan spins, the red light is on and the camera is "alive".
    But if I try to connect to it with CCDOps (version 5.61 O-NT) or APT, I am being told the camera is not connected.

I would appreciate some help as I have a few days to return it for a full return (in case, for example, this camera is not going to work ever under Windows 10).

2. Andrea Salati

I forgot to say that the SBIGDriverChecker64 installed SBIGUDRV.DLL version 4.96 Release 3. Following an old post, I replaced that with version 4.92 Release 0 but I am still experiencing the same issue: the device manager sees the camera and says it is working properly but no software can access it and SBIGDriverChecker64, if I click on "Get Firmware Version from Camera", tells me "Could not Establish a link to the Camera. Please make sure it is attached via USB and try again".

3. Andrea Salati

The "Asynchronous USB IO" trick worked for me too.
    I have reverted to the 4.96 Release 3 Driver.
    Now I should be able to start playing with it.

4. Andrea Salati

Now I am dealing with the filter wheel behaving strangely. I know someone posted a message about a similar issue, I will go back and see if and how he solved it.

5. Tim

Tim Staff Member

Which filter wheel?

What kind of symptoms are you seeing?

6. Andrea Salati

Tim, thank you for reaching out. My issue was that when the software told the camera to turn the filter wheel to select a different filter, the rotation would not be "precise". I would have the sensor partially covered by the frame of the wheel (it would overshoot, so to speak, and miss the aperture).
    Apparently, by tweaking parameters - as per another thread I found back in December, I was able to fix it. I have not used the camera ever since. Is the fix permanent, in your experience, or can it be a recurring problem, maybe based on the configuration one uses?

Thank you,
    Andrea

P.S. Any chance to get an .ISO image of the latest version of the CD-ROM which used to be provided with these cameras? The S/N on my camera is 08073492

7. Doug

Doug Staff Member

We now provide a USB stick instead of a CD-ROM. We don't have an ISO image available because we don't use them.

8. Andrea Salati

Could you make an .ISO image of the USB stick then? I do understand it is not something you do when you prepare a new camera but I bought a used one.

Thank you,
    Andrea

9. Doug

Doug Staff Member

10. Andrea Salati

That is what I did, thank you.